triskaidekaphobia

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

triskaidekaphobia

Post by Dann Corbit »

I was married on a Friday the 13th.
My wife was born on a Friday the 13th.
I am not afraid of the number 13, are you?

Because it is coming. A test set so terrifying that women are clutching their children white knuckled and screaming out "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
Every position has 13 chessmen.
Ever position is a mate in 13.
Every position has a single best move.

Are you scared?
Be afraid. Be very much afraid.
Coming soon to a theatre near you.

You can run, but you can't hide.
If your engine does not find the mate in 13, it is a fail.
... I ... am ... so ... SCARED!
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Andrew

Re: triskaidekaphobia

Post by Andrew »

There have been many puzzles/compositions designed as single numbers or letters on the board.

Any for number 13?

Or a black cat running under a ladder? :D

Andrew
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

When I met my wife, she was incredibly superstitious.
Some of the things she said absolutely shocked me.
For instance, "Stay away from the window when there is a lighting storm! The lightning might see you!" (no, really, she meant it)
As if a million volt electrical spark had eyeballs.
All kinds of things surprised me.
1. Opening an umbrella inside a house is supposed to be bad luck
2. Splitting a pole (e.g. walking on opposite sides of a telephone pole going down the sidewalk) is supposed to be bad luck
and many, other ludicrous things.

After a time, I got my wife to see that lightning had no eyeballs, and stepping on a crack in the concrete has no consequences.
But there are literally millions of people whose lives are dominated by such idiosyncratic nonsense.

Don't fear nonsense. Fear our own ignorance. Ignorance is something that should frighten each and every one of us to our core.

This test set (coming soon to an internet site near you) is pointed at stupidity and ignorance.
May both be vanquished forever.

P.S.
The people who reported this post as off topic and otherwise deplorable, I have only one thing to say,
"What?"
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

I am curious