An actual interesting computer chess read about FF2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: An actual interesting computer chess read about FF2

Post by Modern Times »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 am
I don't have any qualms against trying to make money with chess software. But I do wish that chess companies were fully truthful in their ads.
OK, Pollyanna wish.
That's the nature of advertising isn't it. Not just chessbase, not just the chess world, the entire world.
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:09 am
towforce wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:41 pm
dkappe wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:43 pm In all the lighthearted frivolity about the law, it seems we’ve missed an article on how an ICCF GM evaluates an analysis partner and comes to prefer FF2. Warning: contains actual chess.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/discussin ... al-network

Good read - thanks for the link.

One nagging little thought: if it's better at suggesting good moves, then why doesn't it play better chess? Why isn't at the top of the independent rating lists?

The Fat Fritz 2 compile of Stockfish has the default contempt set to zero, resulting in higher quality and less biased evaluations, but on rating lists weaker engines have an easier time drawing Fat Fritz 2 due to contempt being equal to zero.
Actually, Fat Fritz default contempt is 24. Even though it makes little difference.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

It is just a plug - very normal in the course of business. Advertising statements do not have to be 100% truthful, that is a fact of life , and it is called puffing. Just has to be close to truth. If you are getting to get a plug on a chess engine, Stephen is about the best person on the planet to plug a chess engine. So smart move by Albert. Stephen is right about the 0.0 evaluations, they are annoying. Also I saw another Chessbase page where Albert just about thanked everybody he could , including the LC0 and Stockfish teams, so he is clearly trying to making amends, which is better than what some authors do. No one is perfect, especially me....
glennsamuel32

Post by glennsamuel32 »

MikeB wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:34 am It is just a plug - very normal in the course of business. Advertising statements do not have to be 100% truthful, that is a fact of life , and it is called puffing. Just has to be close to truth. If you are getting to get a plug on a chess engine, Stephen is about the best person on the planet to plug a chess engine. So smart move by Albert. Stephen is right about the 0.0 evaluations, they are annoying. Also I saw another Chessbase page where Albert just about thanked everybody he could , including the LC0 and Stockfish teams, so he is clearly trying to making amends, which is better than what some authors do. No one is perfect, especially me....
You avoid the lies he spoke during the interviews of FF1 and FF2
At this point, his "thanks" are as hollow as an empty can of Budweiser...
Judge without bias, or don't judge at all...
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

glennsamuel32 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:06 am
MikeB wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:34 am It is just a plug - very normal in the course of business. Advertising statements do not have to be 100% truthful, that is a fact of life , and it is called puffing. Just has to be close to truth. If you are getting to get a plug on a chess engine, Stephen is about the best person on the planet to plug a chess engine. So smart move by Albert. Stephen is right about the 0.0 evaluations, they are annoying. Also I saw another Chessbase page where Albert just about thanked everybody he could , including the LC0 and Stockfish teams, so he is clearly trying to making amends, which is better than what some authors do. No one is perfect, especially me....
His behavior has not been pristime. It is not possible for anyone tell to whether his "thanks" are hollow or not as that requires one to get into his mind. Regardless, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over this... Time to move on, at least for me, ymmv.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 am Goes without saying.
For years chess companies have put "Word Champion!" on the box when their program won the ICGA tournament.
And they are somewhere below #10 in CCRL and CEGT, bot nobody plays in ICGA anymore except commercial programs with a few Europeans sprinkled in

I don't have any qualms against trying to make money with chess software. But I do wish that chess companies were fully truthful in their ads.
OK, Pollyanna wish.

Now, some might say, "But the ICGA is the world championship!"
Not, in my opinion, since TCEC started.

Now, if you win TCEC, put that on your box and smile from ear to ear.
Well, Steve is bound to CB GUIs since ever and he had a hard time making SF + NNUE run at all in the beginning (being not too computer savy).
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 35#p857535
Someone else with enough time on his hands will surely find positions with the opposite effect. Nothing special here just a bit cherry-picking IMHO.

He already said the same for FF1 :)
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 30#p876230

(and before someone nasty construes something bad out of this post - you can consider Steve and me being friends here)

I guess Andreas (Strangmüller) from the wellknown FastGM site, as a former worldchampion of IECG, might have a different opinion...
http://www.fastgm.de/
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Milos

Post by Milos »

In today computer chess correspondence GM's are oveerated and so are their statements. There is no human that can beat SF13 with no opening book running at 16 core modern CPU at ICCF TC using whatever they have at their disposal. The very best they can do is to draw.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I believe that Steve is not fully enamoured with the Fritz GUI and I do not think you will find a glowing report from him on that portion of the product.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Calling someone a liar is very strong language. I find it extremely distasteful.
What, exactly, were his lies?
Quotes, please.
If you cannot produce exact quotes demonstrating your claim, then what is your claim exactly?

There is a big difference between someone who thinks that they have done a great thing whereas others disagree and someone who knows he has not done a great thing and says that he has.

I think, for instance, that calling someone a liar when they are not is easily as deplorable as being a liar.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
glennsamuel32

Post by glennsamuel32 »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:10 am
Calling someone a liar is very strong language. I find it extremely distasteful.
What, exactly, were his lies?
Quotes, please.
If you cannot produce exact quotes demonstrating your claim, then what is your claim exactly?

There is a big difference between someone who thinks that they have done a great thing whereas others disagree and someone who knows he has not done a great thing and says that he has.

I think, for instance, that calling someone a liar when they are not is easily as deplorable as being a liar.

Go back and watch those interviews.
Easier still, visit the blog set up by SF.
Even easier, log into Discord and find out for yourself.
It's your business to believe what you want to.
But you don't take the work of hundreds of people and turn it into your discovery.
Unlike you, I'm not talking of a few upset people...
Judge without bias, or don't judge at all...