Stockfish 13 Under Chessbase 16 Question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Stockfish 13 Under Chessbase 16 Question

Post by Cornfed »

I am afraid I do not know how to share a screenshot, but I notice Stockfish 13 with it's new evaluation while analyzing a position. I set it to analyze a position and the output looks a bit like this:

+/= 55%
at the top

then it gives the line being analyzed and at the bottom says:

White is slightly better: +/= (55% + 15% = 78% - 6%) Depth: 51/68 01:06:24 10332MN

Any idea how to read this?
Jim Logan

Re: Stockfish 13 Under Chessbase 16 Question

Post by Jim Logan »

Right click the engine pane and deselect "Display Win Probability". You may have to remove the engine and restart, but that will give you the display you are used to. I think you would read this current position display as 15% chance of a win, 78% chance of a draw and 6% chance of a loss.
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

Jim Logan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:34 am Right click the engine pane and deselect "Display Win Probability". You may have to remove the engine and restart, but that will give you the display you are used to. I think you would read this current position display as 15% chance of a win, 78% chance of a draw and 6% chance of a loss.
Well...I do not want to go back the old display!

In some way...If what you says is correct, this seems to make so much more sense for analysis...even 'playing', it is more akin to how people think about a position and how they want to proceed.

I was wondering if this was written down anywhere - but what you say does make sense. Thanks!
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

Cornfed wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:57 am
Jim Logan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:34 am Right click the engine pane and deselect "Display Win Probability". You may have to remove the engine and restart, but that will give you the display you are used to. I think you would read this current position display as 15% chance of a win, 78% chance of a draw and 6% chance of a loss.
Well...I do not want to go back the old display!

In some way...If what you says is correct, this seems to make so much more sense for analysis...even 'playing', it is more akin to how people think about a position and how they want to proceed.

I was wondering if this was written down anywhere - but what you say does make sense. Thanks!
Too late to edit, but while I like the idea, I have to wonder just how Stockfish 13 comes up with those numbers within Chessbase...
NoChessNoLife
Full name: Lev Chen

Post by NoChessNoLife »

Cornfed wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:15 am I am afraid I do not know how to share a screenshot, but I notice Stockfish 13 with it's new evaluation while analyzing a position. I set it to analyze a position and the output looks a bit like this:

+/= 55%
at the top

then it gives the line being analyzed and at the bottom says:

White is slightly better: +/= (55% + 15% = 78% - 6%) Depth: 51/68 01:06:24 10332MN

Any idea how to read this?
It is displaying the percentages for WDL, that is, Win% Draw% Loss%.
The 55% is the overall average, 15% is the Win%, 78% is Draw%, 6% is the Loss%.
Basically, a player would understand that the position is dynamically equal, and that the side to move is slightly better since it has 15% Win.
I prefer the new WDL output over the old centipawns output. Getting information based on WDL is much more helpful than the old centipawns like 0.35, what is 0.35?
WDL provides a more clear picture overview of the position.
Ajedrecista

Re: Stockfish 13 under Chessbase 16 question.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Brian:
Cornfed wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:48 pmToo late to edit, but while I like the idea, I have to wonder just how Stockfish 13 comes up with those numbers within Chessbase...
Your question is answered in other thread:

Re: Stockfish 13 merged on GitHub.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
simonizeourwatches
Full name: THOMAS PEEBLES

Post by simonizeourwatches »

Running stockfish 13 engine in the fat fritz 2 gui, I have the "Display Win Probability" deselected, and while the engine is running, the evaluation displays the traditional number, + or -. But when I copy the engine output to the notation the gui usually changes the evaluation number to a % format. Sometimes it copies the number to the notation correctly, but usually not. Is there a setting to force the gui to behave correctly?