Hand coded Winboard/UCI Javascript Engine List

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

op12no2
Full name: Colin Jenkins

Re: Hand coded Winboard/UCI Javascript Engine List

Post by op12no2 »

supersharp77 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 pm These JS engines are a bit strange....On Lozza when I went to rt click and save the engine the size was 2.5 or 2.8 MB (engine won't work) when I downloaded the entire file folder and checked the sizes Lozza was around 200 to 250k.......engine would work...both files said Lozza.js.the real one and the non working one...2 different sizes...Dunno.. :) :wink:
If you "right-click save as" on a github pretty-print of a source file, you'll get a load of html as well - it'll never work.

However if when in the pretty-print, you click the "raw" button, then do "right-click save as", you'll get the raw source text.

Nothing to do with Javascript engines - just the way github works.
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

Graham Banks wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:40 pm Latest Lozza won't work for me on my popcount i5 (Windows 7).
I've emailed you the source file. it should work OK if node works OK.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

op12no2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:52 am
supersharp77 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 pm These JS engines are a bit strange....On Lozza when I went to rt click and save the engine the size was 2.5 or 2.8 MB (engine won't work) when I downloaded the entire file folder and checked the sizes Lozza was around 200 to 250k.......engine would work...both files said Lozza.js.the real one and the non working one...2 different sizes...Dunno.. :) :wink:
If you "right-click save as" on a github pretty-print of a source file, you'll get a load of html as well - it'll never work.

However if when in the pretty-print, you click the "raw" button, then do "right-click save as", you'll get the raw source text.

Nothing to do with Javascript engines - just the way github works.
No not exactly...at the Lozza Github site..notice the wording..."Releases No releases published" There is no section with the releases in zip files like most of the others(exes)...so you are literally "fishing around looking for the correct file and they all say "Lozza.js"...only when they load in the winboard gui do you get the exact version number... :) :wink:
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:05 am No not exactly...at the Lozza Github site..notice the wording..."Releases No releases published" There is no section with the releases in zip files like most of the others(exes)...so you are literally "fishing around looking for the correct file and they all say "Lozza.js"...only when they load in the winboard gui do you get the exact version number... :) :wink:
OK. I truly thought that given JS engines are a single file, it'd be obvious that the one in the root directory was the latest. But I guess I'm also assuming familiarity with git/svn commit comments and can see that they could be confusing to a non git/svn user. For example the mention of release 2.0 next to the history folder.

I will take your feedback on board and do something to make it all more obvious.

Maybe do releases as you infer, containing lozza.js, lozza.pgn and the readme. I do not want to include node.exe because it's platform dependent.
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

I've added a lozza2.0.zip formal release with instructions about installing Nodejs and tweaking the batch file included in the release. That batch file is then the engine for a chess UI.

https://github.com/op12no2/lozza

If there is still room for improvement, let me know.