We are the Computer Chess Community. We control ourselves.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Re: We are the Computer Chess Community. We control ourselves.

Post by KLc »

JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

Damn. Now I need to talk with my lawyers before I start typing code. Not violate any copyrights :shock:

I think having closed source engines in the same list with open source engines is no good. Puts open source engines at huge disadvantage.
If all sources are closed, then we can see who can type code and who can't.
Mastering your craft takes years. Writing high quality code that is.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The idea that a few unhappy people can bully rating organizations into supporting their (sometimes extreme) views is really funny. 'Boycotting CCRL', (just to name an example), how would you do that? What does it even mean if you vow to 'ignore it' yourself? Would you make a fool of yourself by claiming a strength for your engine that most others would see to be completely off? How would anyone care if you didn't look at a certain rating list? And in particular, why would those who create such lists care? It is not like you pay them a fee per look. You can be sure that any noob who bumped into a chess engine and wants to know its rating is directed by Google to CCRL...
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

The facts remain. Why should an idiot pay 99 euro for something he can dowload in the internet for free without chessbase logo ?!

Because albert silver or frederic friedel said in a marketing campaign that fat fritz II “will change your life” ??

The uneducated mass maybe buys it.

I remember when frederic told me in the 80ies that “chessbase will change my life”.

Now its 2021 and the campaigns are still the same.
And they are plein wrong as they lied in the 80ies.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

hgm wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 pm The idea that a few unhappy people can bully rating organizations into supporting their (sometimes extreme) views is really funny.
The idea that the so-called independent rating lists fall for misleading marketing and telling them to be more responsible in that regard being considered bullying let alone the rating "organizations" are mostly ran by individuals while the only real organization is behind all those scams makes the argument even funnier.
Last edited by noobpwnftw on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

mclane wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 pm The facts remain. Why should an idiot pay 99 euro for something he can dowload in the internet for free without chessbase logo ?!

Because albert silver or frederic friedel said in a marketing campaign that fat fritz II “will change your life” ??

It's NOT just the "uneducated masses"...it's anyone who might find value in their special NNUE AND of course, their GUI.
What is it that people do not understand about this?

CB just needs to give proper credit and make available the source code for the engine...and it can be 99.99% the same as what you can get for free. It's really the other stuff one is paying for. If you don't want that 'otherstuff'...go to the SF website and down load theirs.

Oh...you will a GUI to run that under. :wink:
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Fast food is for fat people who die soon.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

mclane wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 pm The facts remain. Why should an idiot pay 99 euro for something he can dowload in the internet for free without chessbase logo ?!

I remember when frederic told me in the 80ies that “chessbase will change my life”.

Now its 2021 and the campaigns are still the same.
And they are plein wrong as they lied in the 80ies.
It is not that long ago you were suggesting Chessbase would be the perfect place to host CTF and that they were your friends:
mclane wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:30 pm
As I said, if universities do not follow our demands, we can asks companies like
Schach Niggemann or my friends at chessbase in Hamburg.

I could ask Frederic and matthias.
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

Further proves that so much for boycotting, i.e. complaining about one particular CB product is not the same as saying their GUI is useless.

Quite interesting as it developed, hypocrisy level reaching infinity.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

mclane wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:35 pm Fast food is for fat people who die soon.
And die happy? Want my brussel sprouts?

Oh, and it's largely about the genetics.