We are the Computer Chess Community. We control ourselves.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: We are the Computer Chess Community. We control ourselves.

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Maybe!
Frank Quisinsky

Looking on Chessbase engine history ...
Rybka - Houdini - Fritz 17 with Fat Fritz I (Lc0)- Fat Fritz II (Stockfish).

Consequent is to use chessbase software or not ... generally!

So long engine programmes, like the Komodo team for an example, support Chessbase, so long engine products by Chessbase will be available. Engine products like Fat Fritz II with an open source program or engine products with a commercial program, like Komodo.

If the community will give a symbol it must be very consequent.
In my humble opinion complicated and not thinkable.

If not with Albert Silver ... with an other person, like to give his name for it.
Such persons are easy to find out!

In my opinion not the users at first have to set a symbol ... the engine programmers itself have to set at first a symbol.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Agreed. Fritz GUI is definitely the best out there, and I also think Playchess is the best for online play IMO
Nonsense.
The fritz Guis are a pain ! And playchess is mainly visited by people who try to beat themselves with massive investments in hardware.

Those who are really interested in chess or computerchess do not use this software or this server.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mclane wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:33 pm

Agreed. Fritz GUI is definitely the best out there, and I also think Playchess is the best for online play IMO
Nonsense.
The fritz Guis are a pain ! And playchess is mainly visited by people who try to beat themselves with massive investments in hardware.

Those who are really interested in chess or computerchess do not use this software or this server.
I think Fritz gui looks the most professional and probably has the most functionality. But I find the Fritz gui quite buggy at times. I have several engines where I cannot load the engine parameters at all though it works fine in Arena, a few engines that I can only play engine vs engine matches and if I try to add them to a tournament the engine will crash and ruin the tournament (e.g Rybka 4 and Rodent III).
Frank Quisinsky

Hi John,

in times I am working with Martin on Arena we like to give the "complete community" a strong GUI. Not important for commercial engine projects with our permission or for free available engines. I payed for millions of downloads and give 5 hours daily my support for users, my complete ideas Martin, support for the own fora and organice the publicty and communication with a lot of important webmasters and redakteurs.

Fritz GUI and ChessBase database GUI is all the time not free of mistakes.
Arena GUI is not free of mistakes also.

Speaking for myself:
I like the Chessbase database software and working since the first available version with it. I don't like chess server and this is the once point I had an other opinion as Martin Blume in the past. Chessbase do a lot for chess players around the World. Computerchess is one part from things Chessbase do only.

But ...
If the directors of chessbase company support such a product like Fat Fritz II with such a bad publicty around it I think the community can set a symbol. A symbol, not more or less! If I am looking in style of Dragon by Komodo and Stockfish I can see that many ideas must be the same. If so, the Komodo team can give solidary for Stockfish and Lc0 teams.

If I can see such a solidary I can give it, today as user from chess software, also.

A lot of strong GUIs, chess server, database programs are available today.
Should be not a problem!

If the community will not set a clear symbol, you can be sure that more of such products will be follow.
After a clear symbol ... maybe the directors of chessbase will be contact engines programmers before!

Best
Frank
Last edited by Frank Quisinsky on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Nonsense.

Your opinion...and not one the masses share. There is indeed a reason Chessbase is so widely used even though some find it a tad expensive.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:12 pm And what I should do with the still-running FCP Tourney-2021.
After so many work around it.
15 out of 50 rounds played.
I need for the statistics for one round 3 hours.
I lost 15x 3-hours of time.
Klaus Wlotzka lost many time (Excel files).

If ...
I have to delete Gingko and Dragon by Komodo, I can restart the tourney!

Situation is not easy!
Give me your statement what people can do if they like Gingko and Komodo!

Best
Frank
WAY too many "!" Frank...you sound like a hot head and no one takes a hot head seriously.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Cornfed wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:32 pm

Nonsense.

Your opinion...and not one the masses share. There is indeed a reason Chessbase is so widely used even though some find it a tad expensive.
The reason Chessbase is “so widely used” is marketing.
Marketing is not about truth but about not telling the truth about the product.

Arena, rebel dos GUIs, shredder GUIs, even CSTAL gui (dos or windows) is more standard and usable.
Do you remember genius DOS ?
These were standard GUIs
Shredder gui. Hiarcs chess explorer.

Fritz GUIs are a pain. Strange buttons. Strange logic. Completely anti intuitive.

You need to be a masochist to use this stuff.
And as I said, the bugs , even the fixed bugs, come back into them with each gui. It seems they always use the same buggy source origin.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Frank Quisinsky

Your opinion, not my opinion!
Yesterday many users have written why I like chessbase software so much (after discussions around Fat Fritz II in a German fora).

A very big problem for chess fora.

100% pro or 100% contra.
If not, example 50/50 opinion, others have problems with understandings!

But this isn't my problem!

Best
Frank

hot head ...
Do you really know that your message is seriously?
What do you make for the community, let me have a guess ... nothing!
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Thorsten,

you are again to aggessive on the way.

You will have a lot to do if you have interest to explain all the chessbase users why chessbase products are bad. That will not solve the problems you have since many years with Frederic Friedel.

An other way can give you more satisfaction!

Chessbase GUIs have all the times a lot of bugs but many of the ideas by Matthias Wüllenweber and the other programmers working on it are really fantastic.

Best
Frank