Find optimal opening vs opponents standard setup

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

eligolf
Full name: Elias Nilsson

Find optimal opening vs opponents standard setup

Post by eligolf »

Hi,

This question comes from playing lots of blitz and bullet online where some people tend to play the same setup no matter what opening they face. Is there a way to analyze their setup in some top level engine such as Stockfish and get the best opening to face their setup? For example to set up the opponents first 5-6 standard moves and then let the engine find the best 5-6 best moves for me to face this?

One idea would be to alter my own engine and let it make 5-6 moves in a row before letting the opponent move. However, this runs into the issue of e.g. scholars mate and such ideas, which would be prevented by the opponent in a normal game. Any ideas on how to do this, or if this is a feature in some engines?

To give an example of a setup I see very often:

[d]rn1qk1nr/pbp2pbp/1p1pp1p1/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1
BeyondCritics
Full name: Oliver Roese

Re: Find optimal opening vs opponents standard setup

Post by BeyondCritics »

A chess player would simply ask: What to play against the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus_Defence? And when he would sit down quietly one weekend to figure out something, with the help of his engine.
Also he may tell, that you can only ponder broadly about openings at a verly early stage, since in chess everything depends deeply on something.