Fat Fritz 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gladius
Full name: Gary Linscott

Re: Fat Fritz 2

Post by gladius »

Graham Banks wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:40 pm Latest from the blitz list.

I have a lot of respect for CCRL, but, IMO, it is a bad choice to include Fat Fritz 2 on the list. It is trivial to release Stockfish derivatives that would flood rating lists and make them totally meaningless. Very disappointing to see. I understand there is some nuance about deciding what engines to include, and which to not include on a list - but it's totally clear this is a very minor delta to Stockfish dev.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

gladius wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:00 am
Graham Banks wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:40 pm Latest from the blitz list.

I have a lot of respect for CCRL, but, IMO, it is a bad choice to include Fat Fritz 2 on the list. It is trivial to release Stockfish derivatives that would flood rating lists and make them totally meaningless. Very disappointing to see. I understand there is some nuance about deciding what engines to include, and which to not include on a list - but it's totally clear this is a very minor delta to Stockfish dev.
If it's clear then why do others disagree? Fair question.
twobeer
Full name: Leif Aronsson

Post by twobeer »

h1a8 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:04 am If it's clear then why do others disagree? Fair question.
WHo disagrees apart from those persons with commercial intrest in this scam from CB??

It should at least clearly be called Stockfish and not Fat Frits on the list.. the engine is Stockfish and NOTHING else.. Just a specifik network..
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

twobeer wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:13 am
h1a8 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:04 am If it's clear then why do others disagree? Fair question.
WHo disagrees apart from those persons with commercial intrest in this scam from CB??

It should at least clearly be called Stockfish and not Fat Frits on the list.. the engine is Stockfish and NOTHING else.. Just a specifik network..
For those that say that FF2 is “just” a net and doesn’t add anything, can you provide some chess examples of where that’s true?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

For those interested, I'm running a Fat Fritz 2 64-bit 8CPU v Stockfish 2021-02-11 64-bit 8CPU match at 2 hours with 30 second increments.

Details are in the tournament sub-forum.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

dkappe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 am

For those that say that FF2 is “just” a net and doesn’t add anything, can you provide some chess examples of where that’s true?
An example would consist of analysis of SF-dev (with its default net) juxtaposed with SF-dev (with the FF2 net). Can you provide some chess examples where it's not true?
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

gaard wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:44 am

An example would consist of analysis of SF-dev (with its default net) juxtaposed with SF-dev (with the FF2 net). Can you provide some chess examples where it's not true?
Sorry. I don’t have a copy of FF2 so can’t speak to the chess side of things. It would be foolish of me to make claims in that regard without first hand evidence.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

gladius wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:00 am I have a lot of respect for CCRL, but, IMO, it is a bad choice to include Fat Fritz 2 on the list. It is trivial to release Stockfish derivatives that would flood rating lists and make them totally meaningless. Very disappointing to see. I understand there is some nuance about deciding what engines to include, and which to not include on a list - but it's totally clear this is a very minor delta to Stockfish dev.
This is coming from the same ratings list that has the stockfish clones Houdini 6 and Fire 7.1 listed as separate from Stockfish, and regular Fat Fritz listed separate from Leela, so listing Fat Fritz 2 as separate from Stockfish is simply on par to their previous behaviour.
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

dkappe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:48 am
gaard wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:44 am

Sorry. I don’t have a copy of FF2 so can’t speak to the chess side of things. It would be foolish of me to make claims in that regard without first hand evidence.
You don't have a copy of the net either?
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

gaard wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:49 am You don't have a copy of the net either?
I don’t do Windows and most of the chessbase software is Windows based. (I may have an ancient copy of chessbase for Windows NT somewhere.) I’ve restricted my comments to the GPL as I can’t speak to how FF2 plays or whether it would be worth X $ to someone. I somehow assumed that you had a copy, given your confident statements about how strong or weak FF2 was.