Fat Fritz 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

towforce

Re: Fat Fritz 2

Post by towforce »

On the off chance that anyone is thinking of buying FF2, the price on the Indian Chessbase website is 3,538.82 rupees (link), which is €40, so a bit cheaper.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

dkappe wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:48 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:43 pm So Oracle cannot sell both the Oracle and MySQL database systems then? You had better send them a note and inform them that they are breaking the law. Or is it only naughty if they sell them to the same customer at the same time?
If they are selling them as separate products under separate licenses, how is that relevant?
It is relevant because the restrictions on what you can do with GPL code are very specific.
There is no part of the restriction that is binding upon data.
If you do use the source, you must make the source available upon request.
It is clear to me that they are not in any sort of violation, but I am not a legal expert so I could be wrong.
I have not seen any compelling arguments that show Chessbase has done anything legally wrong.
There are things that are distasteful to some people, but being distasteful does not make something illegal.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
intrepid
Full name: Vladimir Skavysh

Post by intrepid »

Chessbase has a new article, "Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1)," and they made the mistake of allowing comments. I'm sure they're screening the messages for mention of "Stockfish" and the like, but there is a chance a meaningful comment might get through. The latest comment reads "It's just taking money out of people's pockets :-)" :lol:
Ckappe
Full name: Rütger Andersen

Post by Ckappe »

Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:29 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:43 pm So Oracle cannot sell both the Oracle and MySQL database systems then? You had better send them a note and inform them that they are breaking the law. Or is it only naughty if they sell them to the same customer at the same time?
If they are selling them as separate products under separate licenses, how is that relevant?
It is relevant because the restrictions on what you can do with GPL code are very specific.
It is clear to me that they are not in any sort of violation, but I am not a legal expert so I could be wrong.
I have not seen any compelling arguments that show Chessbase has done anything legally wrong.
There are things that are distasteful to some people, but being distasteful does not make something illegal.
Most likely the first version of the software released was illegal.. If nothing else their panic-change they made to separate out the network as a separate file indicates this.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

So you are saying that someone made a request for the software and it was not delivered within 30 days?
Please document this.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Ckappe wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:38 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:29 pm
Most likely the first version of the software released was illegal.. If nothing else their panic-change they made to separate out the network as a separate file indicates this.
Pay attention. We’re talking about Oracle, not ChessBase, and Oracle and MySQL, not FF2.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:39 pm So you are saying that someone made a request for the software and it was not delivered within 30 days?
Please document this.
Dann, stop dunking on them. :lol:
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

"... We created our own program, which we called Fat Fritz ..." that's exactly what Chessbase wrote on https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-and ... lligence-1.

Chessbase is a big company, they surely have money to invest something on AI. They just need to hire a few data scientists...
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

kinderchocolate wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:55 am "... We created our own program, which we called Fat Fritz ..." that's exactly what Chessbase wrote on https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-and ... lligence-1.

Chessbase is a big company, they surely have money to invest something on AI. They just need to hire a few data scientists...
ChessBase GMBH has 20 employees and $2 million in revenue per year. That’s not a big company.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:55 am
kinderchocolate wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:55 am "... We created our own program, which we called Fat Fritz ..." that's exactly what Chessbase wrote on https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-and ... lligence-1.

ChessBase GMBH has 20 employees and $2 million in revenue per year. That’s not a big company.
Well thats pretty good for a company that seems to produce nothing
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )