Why Isn't Arena Gui Updated

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mehmet123
Full name: Mehmet Karaman

Why Isn't Arena Gui Updated

Post by mehmet123 »

No doubt Arena is the most used chess gui by people. Arena Gui has not been updated for as long as 5 years.
Why not strong engines like Slowchess Blitz, Ethereal, Laser, Nemorino, Wasp, Rofchade, Booot etc. come default with Arena. Perfect 2021 was released a few days ago but Perfect 2010 comes with default Arena Gui. Wouldn't it be nice if chessboards with new color scheme and new features were introduced ?
supersharp77

Re: Why Isn't Arena Gui Updated

Post by supersharp77 »

mehmet123 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:08 pm No doubt Arena is the most used chess gui by people. Arena Gui has not been updated for as long as 5 years.
Why not strong engines like Slowchess Blitz, Ethereal, Laser, Nemorino, Wasp, Rofchade, Booot etc. come default with Arena. Perfect 2021 was released a few days ago but Perfect 2010 comes with default Arena Gui. Wouldn't it be nice if chessboards with new color scheme and new features were introduced ?
Well I think Arena is popular for these many many years because for one think it was Free...one of the first Chess Gui's I experimented with was Arena and Chessmaster Junior 7 and Lokasoft...I drifed away from Arena early on because of the limited opening book and also some buggy features and I had some engines that would not run in Arena at all...Plus you couldnt use any of the Fritz built in engines or the Hiarcs ones or the built in Junior engines..Also at the time you couldnt run any Swiss system tourneys in Arena..I did use it to run a Java tourney with some of the most difficult to run Java engines..(Detroid, Fisherle and Pirarucu) and it does run Swiss tourneys using the separate program (Arena Swiss Manager) But it had been 15-20 years since I had looked at it...To myself it seemed a bit dated compared to Fritz or Chess Ok or Banksia GUI's
but ChessGUI and Arena are good for the difficult to run engines or Java files or Bat files...I am sure many have been using Arena nonstop for years...But the latest version 3.5.1 would not run any of the old Stockfish engines at all ( Stockfish v1.0 2.2.2 or 2.1) I do remember years ago Onno would not run and Deep Junior and Shredder had some problems also. :) :wink:
mehmet123
Full name: Mehmet Karaman

Post by mehmet123 »

supersharp77 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 pm [But the latest version 3.5.1 would not run any of the old Stockfish engines at all ( Stockfish v1.0 2.2.2 or 2.1)
I hadn' t any problem running these old Stockfish engines with Arena 3.5.1 at Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10.
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

I'd like they could implement running simultaneous games of the same tournament like in Cuteches, Banksia or Winboard. That would be great.
Many weak engines that can't run in Winboard, run in Arena without problems. It is more tolerant to bugs like the bad promotion notation (I know it is the author's fault.)
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Had they opened the source, it (Arena) could have been updated by others.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

The Linux version was last updated only a year ago. I wonder why Martin has not provided an update for Windows. Arena is written in Delphi, so he should be able to provide a package for both operating systems.