Watch engine vs engine games launched from a cli?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnW

Watch engine vs engine games launched from a cli?

Post by JohnW »

Hello,

Does anyone know of a chess interface that will allow you to setup an engine vs engine match via a command line AND will also display it as it's being played in a gui? I was playing around with cute chess cli but it doesn't seem to have any kind of switch to display the game in the gui as the game is played. I want to create an application that can create matches via the cli but I also want to watch the games.

Thanks for your help..
Michel

Re: Watch engine vs engine games launched from a cli?

Post by Michel »

JohnW wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:39 am Hello,

Does anyone know of a chess interface that will allow you to setup an engine vs engine match via a command line AND will also display it as it's being played in a gui? I was playing around with cute chess cli but it doesn't seem to have any kind of switch to display the game in the gui as the game is played. I want to create an application that can create matches via the cli but I also want to watch the games.

Thanks for your help..
I am not aware of any program that implements this natively, but on Linux a similar effect is quite easy to achieve by directing the output of a GUI program to a virtual frame buffer. Then if one one wants to watch the games, one just connects to the virtual frame buffer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb .
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

When I ran OICS, what I did for the web gui was have the engine vs engines matches dump to a pgn file, then have the pgn2web display the pgn and refresh once a second.

Do not know of any GUI's that can do that however but might be a route to go down.
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

In linux, just start an engine-engine match in xboard using the xboard command (with the required options) in a terminal window.
Then just move the terminal window to another desktop to carry on working.
You can then switch between desktops anytime to view the game.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

jshriver wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:58 am When I ran OICS, what I did for the web gui was have the engine vs engines matches dump to a pgn file, then have the pgn2web display the pgn and refresh once a second.

Do not know of any GUI's that can do that however but might be a route to go down.
Thanks, that's a good idea. I will take a look at that..
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Does anyone know of a chess interface that will allow you to setup an engine vs engine match via a command line AND will also display it as it's being played in a gui?
Why not use Cutechess GUI ?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Modern Times wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Does anyone know of a chess interface that will allow you to setup an engine vs engine match via a command line AND will also display it as it's being played in a gui?
Why not use Cutechess GUI ?
Because as I was saying in my post I want to create an application that will create the matches.