Creating NNUE Nets from NNUE evaluation?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bastiball
Full name: Basti Dangca

Creating NNUE Nets from NNUE evaluation?

Post by bastiball »

Did anyone try this or is it not possible?
Basti Dangca
CCRL testing group
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Re: Creating NNUE Nets from NNUE evaluation?

Post by tmokonen »

How about a texelish style tuning of hand crafted evaluation parameters using NNUE scores?
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

I do believe it is common practice to train the NNUE by using an earlier NNUE.

As for "Texel Tuning", typically in my experience it has been very bad trying to fit your eval to match a particular score, and has been much better to have it try to match a WDL result. Although, you can map CP scores onto [0.0, 1.0] and try that.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

AndrewGrant wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 am I do believe it is common practice to train the NNUE by using an earlier NNUE.

As for "Texel Tuning", typically in my experience it has been very bad trying to fit your eval to match a particular score, and has been much better to have it try to match a WDL result. Although, you can map CP scores onto [0.0, 1.0] and try that.
OK, thanks. I was looking for a cheap shortcut, but I guess I will forego that idea.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

tmokonen wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:17 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 am I do believe it is common practice to train the NNUE by using an earlier NNUE.

OK, thanks. I was looking for a cheap shortcut, but I guess I will forego that idea.
The cheap shortcut being to take SF NNUE evals and train your HCE to match it? I'de advise against it.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

bastiball wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:50 pm Did anyone try this or is it not possible?
That is the RL that was done on the SF nets.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
bastiball

Post by bastiball »

dkappe wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:15 am
bastiball wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:50 pm Did anyone try this or is it not possible?
That is the RL that was done on the SF nets.
Oh, I thought they still use HCE :shock: Thanks for the info ! :D :D
Basti Dangca
CCRL testing group
voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Post by voffka »

bastiball wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:27 am Oh, I thought they still use HCE :shock: Thanks for the info ! :D :D
In Igel I have not yet gained a lot of elo due to RL (perhaps 1-5 elo but I spent big amount of time/money on data generation), so I keep training on HCE until I reach it's limits before switching to NNUE data generation.
bastiball

Post by bastiball »

voffka wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:01 pm
bastiball wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:27 am Oh, I thought they still use HCE :shock: Thanks for the info ! :D :D
In Igel I have not yet gained a lot of elo due to RL (perhaps 1-5 elo but I spent big amount of time/money on data generation), so I keep training on HCE until I reach it's limits before switching to NNUE data generation.
Training Igel HCE could help for more future NNUE improvement/development and it is impressive with the patience you have :D :D
Basti Dangca
CCRL testing group