Evaluation of moves from World Championship Games

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeGL

Re: Evaluation of moves from World Championship Games

Post by MikeGL »

Karlo Bala wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:14 pm By today's standards at move 12, we are still in the middle of the opening book. I suspect the results are biased. Try the same but start for example at move 20 to see if there is a difference between the results. In their matches, Kasparov & Karpov played the same opening over and over until beaten to death.
note there are 2 versions of kasparov posted in graph. 1987 and 2000. The 1987 Kasparov is way stronger than year 2000.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

Yeah restart the whole project and do from move 20 seams like opening is causing to much bias
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Karlo Bala wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:14 pm By today's standards at move 12, we are still in the middle of the opening book. I suspect the results are biased. Try the same but start for example at move 20 to see if there is a difference between the results. In their matches, Kasparov & Karpov played the same opening over and over until beaten to death.
What do you mean exactly by "the results are biased"?

I added an option at what move number to start the evaluation.

Code: Select all

--evaluation-start-move <move number>

python stats.py --pgn-folder ./docs/pgn --analysis-file ./docs/human_eval.csv --evaluation-start-move 20 >stats.txt
This is the plot.

I think I have to add an option for opening, middle and ending phases based on material remaining on the board. So that these players can be compared on those phases. One can be good at opening preparation but could be inferior in the middle for example. But of course the analysis quality can be improved to something like 60s/move if we are getting serious with this :) . There is evaluate.py module to analyze the games and save the positions then use stats.py to generate the plot and other stats.
Karlo Bala
Full name: Karlo Balla

Post by Karlo Bala »

Ferdy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:38 am
What do you mean exactly by "the results are biased"?

I added an option at what move number to start the evaluation.

--evaluation-start-move <move number>

python stats.py --pgn-folder ./docs/pgn --analysis-file ./docs/human_eval.csv --evaluation-start-move 20 >stats.txt
This is the plot.

I think I have to add an option for opening, middle and ending phases based on material remaining on the board. So that these players can be compared on those phases. One can be good at opening preparation but could be inferior in the middle for example. But of course the analysis quality can be improved to something like 60s/move if we are getting serious with this :) . There is evaluate.py module to analyze the games and save the positions then use stats.py to generate the plot and other stats.
Interesting, thanks.

Now I'm curious about the extreme case.
Can you restart the test from move 1, please?
Best Regards,
Karlo Balla Jr.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Karlo Bala wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:03 pm Interesting, thanks.

Now I'm curious about the extreme case.
Can you restart the test from move 1, please?
Most analysis in human_eval.csv are from move 8, will fill it up later with move number from 1 to 7.