Deep Analysis

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Re: Deep Analysis

Post by Cornfed »

Werewolf wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:41 pm
Cornfed wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:45 pm
Werewolf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:14 pm To beat the January blues, I want to make a video comparing the best GUIs for analysis of positions and openings.
Ideally these should offer analysis functions which go beyond clicking on an infinite analysis button, which we've had since the 1990s.
Any software or website is eligible, providing it brings something to the table.

On the list so far are the following GUIs - shout if I've missed any:

1. Fritz and Chessbase
2. HIARCS Chess Explorer
3. Nibbler
4. Aquarium
5. Shredder
I would never subscribe, but for anyone who is an 'average' or less player, check out Decode Chess. That may be more to what you are looking for.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, this is quite different to deep analysis. What Decode does is attach verbal comments to analysis. Deep Analysis, by contrast, searches a position very deeply using some kind of automated analysis.
Words matter.

I was thinking of 'deep analysis' in terms of ripping apart an individual game, showing threats, ideas, weaknesses, what is not protected, etc, etc. In that sense, it is truly 'deep analysis...but not 'deep opening analysis'. That is a completely different animal.
Werewolf

Re: Deep Analysis

Post by Werewolf »

Cornfed wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:29 pm
Werewolf wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:41 pm
Cornfed wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:45 pm
Werewolf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:14 pm To beat the January blues, I want to make a video comparing the best GUIs for analysis of positions and openings.
Ideally these should offer analysis functions which go beyond clicking on an infinite analysis button, which we've had since the 1990s.
Any software or website is eligible, providing it brings something to the table.

On the list so far are the following GUIs - shout if I've missed any:

1. Fritz and Chessbase
2. HIARCS Chess Explorer
3. Nibbler
4. Aquarium
5. Shredder
I would never subscribe, but for anyone who is an 'average' or less player, check out Decode Chess. That may be more to what you are looking for.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, this is quite different to deep analysis. What Decode does is attach verbal comments to analysis. Deep Analysis, by contrast, searches a position very deeply using some kind of automated analysis.
Words matter.

I was thinking of 'deep analysis' in terms of ripping apart an individual game, showing threats, ideas, weaknesses, what is not protected, etc, etc. In that sense, it is truly 'deep analysis...but not 'deep opening analysis'. That is a completely different animal.
The deep analysis I'm talking about can be of any position, not just openings.