Deep Analysis

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Re: Deep Analysis

Post by mwyoung »

jshriver wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:29 pm I've been a Scid user for prob 20 years, recently bought Fritz 17 and I'm just blown away. I'm sold on Chessbase now.
Yes it is very good. And better for deep analysis and opening analysis is Chessbase 16! It has even has more bells and whistles. That put Fritz 17 to shame.

So you need to ADD Chessbase 16 to the list.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

mwyoung wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:10 am Yes it is very good. And better for deep analysis and opening analysis is Chessbase 16! It has even has more bells and whistles. That put Fritz 17 to shame.

I plan to get it, it's around $150 in US so will after Christmas. The ability to create opening surveys is absolutely amazing. This youtube video sold me.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

mwyoung wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:10 am
jshriver wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:29 pm I've been a Scid user for prob 20 years, recently bought Fritz 17 and I'm just blown away. I'm sold on Chessbase now.
Yes it is very good. And better for deep analysis and opening analysis is Chessbase 16! It has even has more bells and whistles. That put Fritz 17 to shame.

Of all of Chessbase 16's analysis features, which one do you find the most useful for deep analysis and opening analysis?
At the moment I'm taking a good look at "Novelty Mining" and "Deep Analysis". Deep Analysis has some serious flaws by the way.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Cornfed wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:45 pm
Werewolf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:14 pm To beat the January blues, I want to make a video comparing the best GUIs for analysis of positions and openings.
Ideally these should offer analysis functions which go beyond clicking on an infinite analysis button, which we've had since the 1990s.
Any software or website is eligible, providing it brings something to the table.

On the list so far are the following GUIs - shout if I've missed any:

1. Fritz and Chessbase
2. HIARCS Chess Explorer
3. Nibbler
4. Aquarium
5. Shredder
I would never subscribe, but for anyone who is an 'average' or less player, check out Decode Chess. That may be more to what you are looking for.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, this is quite different to deep analysis. What Decode does is attach verbal comments to analysis. Deep Analysis, by contrast, searches a position very deeply using some kind of automated analysis.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

jshriver wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:27 am
mwyoung wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:10 am Yes it is very good. And better for deep analysis and opening analysis is Chessbase 16! It has even has more bells and whistles. That put Fritz 17 to shame.

I plan to get it, it's around $150 in US so will after Christmas. The ability to create opening surveys is absolutely amazing. This youtube video sold me.

Agreed, it's impressive. It's not really analysis though.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Werewolf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:12 pm I've just tried Lichess, this is pretty basic IMO.

I'm looking for deep, ideally automated, analysis on a position or opening system
IDEA in Aquarium and DPA in Fritz are good here. Comparison of analysis storage would be interesting between this two.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Werewolf wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:37 pm
mwyoung wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:10 am
Of all of Chessbase 16's analysis features, which one do you find the most useful for deep analysis and opening analysis?
At the moment I'm taking a good look at "Novelty Mining" and "Deep Analysis". Deep Analysis has some serious flaws by the way.
I like novelty mining, Centipawn analysis, and the much improved retro analysis function for games, and using the huge
database to see the true TN.

The Survey feature is outstanding.

My Deep Analysis seemed to work fine. But it took a day to see anything useful. It is slow.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Ferdy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:51 pm
Werewolf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:12 pm I've just tried Lichess, this is pretty basic IMO.

I'm looking for deep, ideally automated, analysis on a position or opening system
IDEA in Aquarium and DPA in Fritz are good here. Comparison of analysis storage would be interesting between this two.
Thanks - this is now included in the report
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

mwyoung wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:30 pm
I like novelty mining, Centipawn analysis, and the much improved retro analysis function for games, and using the huge

My Deep Analysis seemed to work fine. But it took a day to see anything useful. It is slow.
All agreed on Surveys, novelty mining etc.

Deep Analysis is a powerful idea but it has changed over the years and now deletes analysis from early iterations which it doesn't consider best in later iterations. Some people may think this keeps the analysis "clean", but in reality it's very helpful to see why inferior moves are inferior - they should be kept in. In my opinion this is downgrade on earlier versions.

Secondly, "Cloud Analysis" - which is basically Deep Analysis but with multiple machines over the net - is interesting, but they haven't really spelt out what the Crawler Engine does or how it works in detail. It's all a bit vague.

But I agree, there's interesting stuff here.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Werewolf wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:22 pm
mwyoung wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:30 pm

All agreed on Surveys, novelty mining etc.

Deep Analysis is a powerful idea but it has changed over the years and now deletes analysis from early iterations which it doesn't consider best in later iterations. Some people may think this keeps the analysis "clean", but in reality it's very helpful to see why inferior moves are inferior - they should be kept in. In my opinion this is downgrade on earlier versions.

Secondly, "Cloud Analysis" - which is basically Deep Analysis but with multiple machines over the net - is interesting, but they haven't really spelt out what the Crawler Engine does or how it works in detail. It's all a bit vague.

But I agree, there's interesting stuff here.
I quickly gave up on the DA feature once I noticed that it deleted whole lines from its 'analysis', instead of storing them. An almost complete waste of resources.