Question regarding Hashtable size in Fritz17

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Patishi
Full name: Assaf Patishi

Question regarding Hashtable size in Fritz17

Post by Patishi »

Hi,
First time when opening the program it automatically assigns Hashtable value, In my system with 32gb ram it assigns 4915mb.
I know that for hastables generally an even number is preferable, and I can manually switch it in the options. But I am interested to know if it's ok to just leave the default value? can it reduce performance ?

I'm not asking about hashtable size in general..I know that one should change it based on the time control and hardware etc'.
I am just interested to know if I leave 4915mb can reduce the engine performance in someway.

Thx.
Ovyron

Re: Question regarding Hashtable size in Fritz17

Post by Ovyron »

Patishi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:15 pm I know that for hastables generally an even number is preferable
If this is so then the engine will already be decreasing it itself so it's even or a power of 2. Otherwise the engine will perform better with 4915 than with 4914.
Patishi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:15 pmBut I am interested to know if it's ok to just leave the default value? can it reduce performance ?
Performance will not be reduced unless there's memory swapping so it depends on what else the computer is doing. If you're not doing anything else you'd want to see how many free RAM is available and use that. If you're doing something else leave some extra space in memory for those things, and subtract it from available RAM when setting it.

But the only thing that matters is that no program ever asks for more memory than you have free, that's when the engine's memory will be page swapped, and you'll get a performance hit worse than if you used fewer memory.