Can You activate large pages in Windows 10 Home?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Can You activate large pages in Windows 10 Home?

Post by Jouni »

If YES what's the easiest way?
Jouni
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Re: Can You activate large pages in Windows 10 Home?

Post by cc2150dx »

First you will have to enable Gpedit.msc https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit ... s-10-home/

Now go to https://www.cruxis.com/chess/manual/index.html Click on 'Houdini Pro version' heading and read "Large Memory Pages" section (This should apply to any engine that supports large pages support)

P.S. I don't really know of a easier way than this. Let me know if this works for you.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Hmm may be too complicated for just 1-2% speedup. Unless You have superhardware.
Jouni
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

It also only works some of the time.
If your memory is fragmented and you ask for a big block, you won't get it.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Jouni wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:08 pm Hmm may be too complicated for just 1-2% speedup. Unless You have superhardware.
With a TT of several gigabytes, the speed up is more like 8-10%. However, you may need Windows 10 Pro to get full access to your own hardware (at least I was not able to make large pages work on Windows 7 Home).
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Jouni wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:08 pm Hmm may be too complicated for just 1-2% speedup. Unless You have superhardware.
I agree. It does not matter much. Large page are a waste of time. I have tested this, and Large page are not worth the effort. So do not distress if you can not, or do not want to use them. A better version of Stockfish, who does not use Large page. Is worth more then a version of Stockfish that has Large page enabled. I no longer use versions of Stockfish that have Large page enabled.

And Large page also lose any type of speed up, in testing. As the Large page degrades.

On a AMD system, it was better to run all games at 1 GB hash with a better speed up that did not degrade. Then to use a Stockfish versions with Large page. As the Speedup did not degrade. And I do not know if this is true with a Intel CPU.

Meaning with a AMD CPU 2950x the speed up was the same, without the degrade in performance of a few percent with more games.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

syzygy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 am
With a TT of several gigabytes, the speed up is more like 8-10%. However, you may need Windows 10 Pro to get full access to your own hardware (at least I was not able to make large pages work on Windows 7 Home).
On old Windows 7 you must run the engine "as administrator" to get large pages to work after making the required reg changes. Running as administrator is not required on Win10 pro.

FYI
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

mbabigian wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:33 pm
syzygy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 am
On old Windows 7 you must run the engine "as administrator" to get large pages to work after making the required reg changes. Running as administrator is not required on Win10 pro.

FYI
So on Windows 10 Home (and Windows 7 Home) it is possible to enable large pages (as long as you have administrator privileges)? I never managed to get it to work, but I may not have tried hard enough. My Windows laptop died, but at some point I will probably try again.
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

I've never had home editions of Windows, but setting the large page options in win7 never worked for me unless I ran the engine as administrator. Just another stupid Microsoft thing to decrease system security.

Give it a try. I have two win7 machines and run large pages on both (one pro and one enterprise). My Win10 pro machines don't require elevated privileges.
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I've never tried it, but for analysis purposes - which let's face it is the primary use for engines - then if you can get it to work any speedup is beneficial.