What is the better for chess: building a PC with 2 x RTX 3080 or with a Threadripper 3970x ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

corres

Re: What is the better for chess: building a PC with 2 x RTX 3080 or with a Threadripper 3970x ?

Post by corres »

OneTrickPony wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:29 pm Thanks, I know how to configure the engines. What I don't know is what is a convenient GUI to run the matches with which doesn't take hours to learn the interface, is possible to pause mid match and preferably isn't just huge pain to deal with (like anything Chessbase or Aquarium for example).
I use chessbase GUIs Fritz 11 (old style rolling down menus it can be handled easily), DeepFritz 14, "modern" MS style GUI, its usage is more complicated but nicer and better, than Fritz 17 (for e.g.)
Some learning needs to every GUI, I think.
Zenmastur

Re: What is the better for chess: building a PC with 2 x RTX 3080 or with a Threadripper 3970x ?

Post by Zenmastur »

corres wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:27 am The power consumption of a Threadripper 3970x OC-ed to 32 X 4.0 GHz is about 700 Watts. It is also the same as 2 x RTX 3080 OC-ed GPUs what needs a cheap "base" PC with 4-8 physical cores and 1200 Watts power supply.
Seeing the CCC competition I can assume the chess power of Leela on 2 x RTX 2080 OC is also the same as SF+NNUE on Threadripper 3970x OC-ed to 32 x 4.0 GHz.
Or you have other opinion?
Really???? You're pumping 700 watts through a cpu designed for 280? Are you using LN2 cooling? What kind of voltage are you pushing to the CPU? And exactly why are you only getting 4.0Ghz clock speeds? With all that power you should be in the 5 to 6 Ghz range.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

700 Watts seems exaggerated. I have a 3970X system overhere, when I overclock it to 4 GHz. (all cores full load) the total system draws less than 550W from the wall outlet. It uses a Seasonic Prime TX-850 PS which has a > 94% efficiency at 230V (at 115 volt it is somewhat less), the video-card is just a tiny GTX-1030.

I don't know how much the processor draws, maybe I will measure it some day with my Fluke DC current clamp-meter, my guess is that it is somewhere in the region of 425 Watt.

Personally I would go for a 3970X (or a 5970X when it arrives next year), there are not so many CNN type engines like LC0, in the future there will be plenty of NNUE type engines because most programmers are taking that route.
corres

Post by corres »

Zenmastur wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:40 am
corres wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:27 am The power consumption of a Threadripper 3970x OC-ed to 32 X 4.0 GHz is about 700 Watts. It is also the same as 2 x RTX 3080 OC-ed GPUs what needs a cheap "base" PC with 4-8 physical cores and 1200 Watts power supply.
Seeing the CCC competition I can assume the chess power of Leela on 2 x RTX 2080 OC is also the same as SF+NNUE on Threadripper 3970x OC-ed to 32 x 4.0 GHz.
Or you have other opinion?
Really???? You're pumping 700 watts through a cpu designed for 280? Are you using LN2 cooling? What kind of voltage are you pushing to the CPU? And exactly why are you only getting 4.0Ghz clock speeds? With all that power you should be in the 5 to 6 Ghz range.
Regards,
Zenmastur
I propose you to read more article about "Overclocking 3.gen Threadrippers"
If you set 32 x 4.0 GHz for a Threadripper 3970x its power consumption will be about 680 Watts, what you can handling with a good water cooler too. AMD processors can work over 5 GHz if it is cooled with liquid N2.
To get an AMD processor working stable around 4.5 GHz, you could win it on the "Silicon Lottery". There is only a small chance to buy a commercial CPU with such an extreme feature.
corres

Post by corres »

Joost Buijs wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:30 am 700 Watts seems exaggerated. I have a 3970X system overhere, when I overclock it to 4 GHz. (all cores full load) the total system draws less than 550W from the wall outlet. It uses a Seasonic Prime TX-850 PS which has a > 94% efficiency at 230V (at 115 volt it is somewhat less), the video-card is just a tiny GTX-1030.
I don't know how much the processor draws, maybe I will measure it some day with my Fluke DC current clamp-meter, my guess is that it is somewhere in the region of 425 Watt.
Personally I would go for a 3970X (or a 5970X when it arrives next year), there are not so many CNN type engines like LC0, in the future there will be plenty of NNUE type engines because most programmers are taking that route.
The power consumption of a CPU depend on lot of factors, mainly its load. Maybe you get your result running an engine for analysis purpose. Even running an engine-engine match between two AB engine will enhance the consumption and during a stability test (for e.g. Prime95 test) the consumption will be enhanced drastically.
Using HT also enhance the consumption and the heat generation.
If you buy (randomly) an extra good processor, you can enjoy smaller electronic bill.
I think the 700 Watts is a safe value with some reserve.
If every engine maker follow the developers of Stockfish and they will use only the nn-xyz.nnue nets, we can get just clones of SF+NNUE.
The development of our rig is determined by the single combat between SF+NNUE and Leela. I think on the long run Leela will be the winner.