what is the best mate solver to download

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

what is the best mate solver to download

Post by Uri Blass »

I know chest was the best mate solver for finding the shortest mate but it use only one core.
Is there a faster mate solver to download that can use more than one core?
mmt
Full name: .

Re: what is the best mate solver to download

Post by mmt »

Good question, I haven't seen anything. You could get a poor man's version of multithreading with Chest without modifying its code by making a script to split up the tree and calculating each part in a different process (since it uses UCI) but that would be inefficient because of no shared hashtable.
mmt
Full name: .

Post by mmt »

Quick note: I tried to start ChestUCI in python-chess but unfortunately there are errors:
Exception in callback Protocol.pipe_data_received(1, b'id author F...type button\n')
handle: <Handle Protocol.pipe_data_received(1, b'id author F...type button\n')>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\anaconda3\lib\asyncio\events.py", line 81, in _run
self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args)
File "C:\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\chess\engine.py", line 975, in pipe_data_received
line = line_bytes.decode("utf-8")
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb7 in position 47: invalid start byte
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Uri Blass wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:09 am I know chest was the best mate solver for finding the shortest mate but it use only one core.
For some problems Crystal or Bluefish work much better.
Sometimes ChestUCI is still fastest.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

I just finished test and we have a new champion: Eman 6.60 :!: . It beats Crystal in mate solving with correct settings like no NNUE. It finds most mates surprisingly fast, but sometimes have 1 move longer than the fastest possible. Bluefish (tactical) is much worse than both. I have not tested 32 bit Chest in many years. I only use database.
Jouni
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:00 pm
Uri Blass wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:09 am I know chest was the best mate solver for finding the shortest mate but it use only one core.
For some problems Crystal or Bluefish work much better.
Sometimes ChestUCI is still fastest.
Crystal or bluefish are not mate solvers in the meaning that I do not know it is the fastest mate.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Chest only solves guaranteed in the primitive form, and then it is only good up to dm11 and that assumes you are very patient.
ChestUCI will not give you a guaranteed mate if you use the special parameters.
So I guess that Chest is your only option and you will never get a guaranteed mate for dm20
An SMP version would be much faster, but nobody wants to program it.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I believe chest can be improved also by a better order of moves and not only by using smp.
I can see cases when for some reason chest does not start from a logical capture and put the logical capture as one of the last moves to search
and I guess that it is not only in the root moves.
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:23 am Chest only solves guaranteed in the primitive form, and then it is only good up to dm11 and that assumes you are very patient.
ChestUCI will not give you a guaranteed mate if you use the special parameters.
So I guess that Chest is your only option and you will never get a guaranteed mate for dm20
An SMP version would be much faster, but nobody wants to program it.
It's an old story, which I've raised before, e.g. http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... st#p470952. As Dann says, programmers are provenly disinterested.
Marek Soszynski
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I should have said with special parameters Chest does not give you a guaranteed shortest mate. The mates it does find are verified.