*** General user warnings ***

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: *** General user warnings ***

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Thanks for your explanation but I believe you can't build essential sensitiveness.

If over a long time a group of persons ... The Polish users ... are in a thread-title in front of the forum and the admins are not able to changed such an easy situation it's time to give a clear statement.

I will see a reaction and not a wrong statement from an schoolmaster.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:08 pmIf over a long time a group of persons ... The Polish users ... are in a thread-title in front of the forum
So what? It's still true, see the complaint by Pawel! He is actually from Poland, and what he's complaining about is not the thread title, but the underlying technical situation. Stop being offended on behalf of other people who have neither requested nor needed your "assistance"!

What does actually suck isn't the thread title. What sucks is that the situation has not been resolved.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Frank Quisinsky

Rasmus,

and you are thinking that I need your assistance?

It is a matter of political good form that opposing views are to be accepted as such and that one engages with them without simply dismissing them as nonsense.

I hope this will help you a bit!

Best
Frank
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:30 pmand you are thinking that I need your assistance?
In general not, of course, but in this specific case - yes, because you failed to understand what the thread title even means. I clarified that.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Frank Quisinsky

Rasmus,

that is your opinion or better justification?
You can play on words if you like to do that, not important for me.

Back to the main topic:
It is time to act!

Best
Frank
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

In my opinion, I believe that chess / computer chess is the one thing that unites us all on this forum, and if we could focus on this one thing that unites us, instead of focusing on the many things that divide us, this forum could be a better place in general. If we put the best interest of this forum first and it's survival, then I believe we can work out all problems and technical difficulties, while preserving the very thing that unites us here. I learned from my father years ago that 'you cannot graph a new idea on a closed mind', and so I no longer try to as I have found that it is a waste of time and energy. I have also found that it is better to understand, than it is to be understood. I don't come here for conflict, I come here for chess related content, and discussion on things related to chess. That is what unites us, and that is all that I am interested in.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by PK »

AdminX wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:14 pm I believe that chess / computer chess is the one thing that unites us all on this forum
I am not "united". I am blocked. What's even worse, content that I meant to be openly available, usable and quotable, is blocked for others too. And I feel I trusted this forum too much, because I did not create a backup for myself.

@Frank Quasinsky, if the title "Polish users cut from Talkchess" is shameful, then it is a perfect reminder that organizers of this forum should be ashamed. I have no problem with that. They should.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Not sure, maybe people do not get the technical part, TC is side hosted (for
free) on the ChessUSA shop server, the shop suffers now and then from hacking-
attacks and therefore blocks whole IP ranges, this then affects also TC, and
users from different regions can not access the website. I think ChessUSA is a
good hosting-sponsor, and https with an own server for TC in the long run would
be a nice to have but a difficult to realize thing...

--
Srdja
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

PK wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:23 pm
AdminX wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:14 pm I believe that chess / computer chess is the one thing that unites us all on this forum
I am not "united". I am blocked. What's even worse, content that I meant to be openly available, usable and quotable, is blocked for others too. And I feel I trusted this forum too much, because I did not create a backup for myself.

@Frank Quasinsky, if the title "Polish users cut from Talkchess" is shameful, then it is a perfect reminder that organizers of this forum should be ashamed. I have no problem with that. They should.
I think we all know that you are blocked, as I would like to think that you know what I meant by 'I believe that chess / computer chess is the one thing that unites us all on this forum', but if not let me make it clear to you that I am talking about your interest in chess / computer chess. If we could agree on that point then maybe all problems could be worked out.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I am not aware of any current blocking in other countries than Poland, and as we heard from Pawel, the blocking of Poland still persists. This is indeed a shameful situation, and the title of thethread perfectly reflects that. At the time some Polish users requested me to make the thread sticky, so it would attract more attention to this shameful situation, in the hope that this would hasten the resolution of it. So far this has proved an idle hope.

To Frank: your postings consistently show that your command of the English language is somewhat minimal. Nothing wrong with that, it is not your native tongue, and people should be (and are) happy you post in English rather than in German. But by now enough people that master English better have told you that there is nothing wrong with the title of the thread, and you should accept their opinion. Further arguing about it would only make you look as foolish as me lecturing Stefan Meyer-Kahlen on how he should write a chess engine.

So please drop it.

Consider it a moderator decision that the title stays as is, unless Polish members object to it. And abide by that decision.