Are there any modern type A strategy engines?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Are there any modern type A strategy engines?

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Most engines these days that use alpha-beta search, like Stockfish, Ethereal, and Komodo, use selectivity heuristics such as reductions, extensions, and forwards pruning in their search, making them type B strategy engines. Are there any engines out there that are type A strategy engines, i.e. that do not use any selectivity heuristics whatsoever in its search, and only rely on brute force?
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Re: Are there any modern type A strategy engines?

Post by Ras »

Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:03 pmAre there any engines out there that are type A strategy engines, i.e. that do not use any selectivity heuristics whatsoever in its search, and only rely on brute force?
Sure - early alpha versions of new engines before their authors get around to selectivity. That is, if you don't count quiescence search as selectivity. You'll find such engines on the lower end of the CCRL.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Affinity Chess by eligolf might be one example of such a type A strategy engine, but only because as of right now eligolf has not yet implemented null move pruning and late move reductions. Once eligolf implements either one of them, as he says he plans on doing in the Affinity Chess Readme.md file, Affinity Chess is no longer a type A strategy engine, but a type B strategy engine.

https://github.com/eligolf/affinity_chess
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

SOS 5 chess engine has a brute force option.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:03 pm Most engines these days that use alpha-beta search, like Stockfish, Ethereal, and Komodo, use selectivity heuristics such as reductions, extensions, and forwards pruning in their search, making them type B strategy engines. Are there any engines out there that are type A strategy engines, i.e. that do not use any selectivity heuristics whatsoever in its search, and only rely on brute force?
All of the early programs used a type A search. The problem is the depth and complexity of chess. And even with the fastest theoretical computer under the laws of physics. This does not get us closer. As type A search engines is what Shannon called Slow and Smart. And would take trillion over trillion trillion trillion .... years to get a meaningful move search.

It looks like the best answer will always be a type B search. With all its pruning, and limitations.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I see no problem with reductions.

In theory you also solve chess with reductions if you search deep enough.
I see no reason to think that without reductions it is possible to solve chess faster.