Question for Ed Shroder

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Question for Ed Shroder

Post by Albert Silver »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:03 pm
lkaufman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:39 am Since Rebel played several matches with strong GMs at standard time controls around the turn of the century, performing a bit below 2700 I would estimate if we rate them all together, my question is this: What FIDE rating would you expect "Benjamin" to earn in similar matches now, running on a typical i7 (say the reference hardware for CCRL), given that Benjamin is an improved version of those older engines and the hardware is much better now (even if perhaps some of those old Rebels ran on 2 or even 4 threads for those matches, I don't have that info)? How much better is Benjamin, and how much better is the hardware (allowing for Benjamin using only one thread)? This would help determine the human equivalent (at 40 moves in two hours) of the CCRL ratings of engines in the ballpark of 2700. You would probably be the best person to make this judgment.
Here is Ed's reply. Ed will not post here.
I guess I missed the action. Why is Ed not posting here?
As many of us are transitioning to a better forum.
I've heard that one before. As a rule better forum = a forum where I make the rules.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

And they already started fighting! A worthy CTF successor, for sure. :lol:

They seem particularly pissed off that people calling you names were not treated with the respect they thought that deserved. It was really insulting to them to be publicly told they couldn't do that; they feel more at home at a place where name calling is properly revered. :wink:
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Judas kiss Herr Professor ?!
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

mclane wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:15 pm Judas kiss Herr Professor ?!
Götz von Berlichingen?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

hgm wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:04 pm And they already started fighting! A worthy CTF successor, for sure. :lol:

They seem particularly pissed off that people calling you names were not treated with the respect they thought that deserved. It was really insulting to them to be publicly told they couldn't do that; they feel more at home at a place where name calling is properly revered. :wink:
Sounds like sour grapes. No more Mr. Shut it down. Ed shut you down. :lol:
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:35 pm
hgm wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:04 pm And they already started fighting! A worthy CTF successor, for sure. :lol:

Sounds like sour grapes. No more Mr. Shut it down. Ed shut them down. :lol:
Took a quick peek over there. First thoughts? What a marvelous and even tempered group of fellows. I’m sure Ed is overjoyed that he has attracted the cream of the crop of talkchess.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

dkappe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 pm
mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:35 pm

Sounds like sour grapes. No more Mr. Shut it down. Ed shut them down. :lol:
Took a quick peek over there. First thoughts? What a marvelous and even tempered group of fellows. I’m sure Ed is overjoyed that he has attracted the cream of the crop of talkchess.
I guess he is since I was invited. 8-)
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:41 pm
dkappe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 pm Took a quick peek over there. First thoughts? What a marvelous and even tempered group of fellows. I’m sure Ed is overjoyed that he has attracted the cream of the crop of talkchess.
Yes, your participation speaks volumes. Congratulations. :D
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

dkappe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:45 pm
dkappe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 pm Took a quick peek over there. First thoughts? What a marvelous and even tempered group of fellows. I’m sure Ed is overjoyed that he has attracted the cream of the crop of talkchess.
I know, Thanks.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:46 pm
dkappe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:45 pm
I know, Thanks.
I guess your irony detector has a huge failure, or your ego is in the way...
This thread has a funny twist now ;-)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy