Question for Ed Shroder

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Re: Question for Ed Shroder

Post by Ras »

mclane wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:27 pmIMO the idea should be that the forum is international accessible.
The situation with whole countries blocked is not good.
True. Just like blowing the passwords over the web in cleartext because https is still missing. If an admin should log in over a malicious wifi spot, the forum could even be turned into a spam relay, which in turn would land the server IP on spam blacklists, which in turn could mean Quentin would be unable to send invoices and order confirmations to his shop customers because it's the same server IP. Once a server IP is on such a blacklist, it takes weeks to get that sorted out.
And it should be guaranteed that the forum cannot be “owned” by somebody (or a company) but belongs to the community
of computer chess programmers / enthusiasts.
That's kind of a problem because "someone" needs to register the domain and the hosting contract with a provider, either a natural or a legal person. The cleanest way for the latter would be some sort of foundation, but I think the effort to get there would be much more than anyone would be willing to do.

It's also a question where to host. I strongly discourage anything in the EU for two reasons: GDPR compliance can be a problem with high fines, and since a forum is about user generated content, the EU upload filters would hit us hard. Iceland would be ideal, but too expensive, just like Switzerland. That leaves basically the US.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Ras wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:38 pm
mclane wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:27 pmIMO the idea should be that the forum is international accessible.
The situation with whole countries blocked is not good.
True. Just like blowing the passwords over the web in cleartext because https is still missing. If an admin should log in over a malicious wifi spot, the forum could even be turned into a spam relay, which in turn would land the server IP on spam blacklists, which in turn could mean Quentin would be unable to send invoices and order confirmations to his shop customers because it's the same server IP. Once a server IP is on such a blacklist, it takes weeks to get that sorted out.
And it should be guaranteed that the forum cannot be “owned” by somebody (or a company) but belongs to the community
of computer chess programmers / enthusiasts.
That's kind of a problem because "someone" needs to register the domain and the hosting contract with a provider, either a natural or a legal person. The cleanest way for the latter would be some sort of foundation, but I think the effort to get there would be much more than anyone would be willing to do.

It's also a question where to host. I strongly discourage anything in the EU for two reasons: GDPR compliance can be a problem with high fines, and since a forum is about user generated content, the EU upload filters would hit us hard. Iceland would be ideal, but too expensive, just like Switzerland. That leaves basically the US.
I agree the situation right now is untenable. But something needs to be done.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Time to Lock this thread. It has had a record number of complaints.