Released my new App Diamond Chess Online for Android

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Released my new App Diamond Chess Online for Android

Post by adams161 »

I just finished up this last week Diamond Chess Online my new Android Client for FICS and ICC. I know a lot these days are chess.com and lichess but ‘I’ve always liked to keep the old ICS mode alive with its mix of play and chat.

To help make the ICS servers competitive on Android with lichess and chess.com I put Stockfish analysis in diamond when examining or observing and an option to set it at 1 to 5 lines in settings. There are chat features like a channels list to choose from. If anyone tries this, politics on both servers is most active. It also logs all games to a PGN log file that can be opened to upload a game to an examined board or mail out log file as an attachment like to get it to the persons computer. To get games there is a seek a game option on the Board. Guests can connect too and there is a connect as guest button. On FICS guests can watch on icc just play and examine. But if anyone wants to try as a member on ICC, ICC gives 30 days trials.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... amondchess

AdminX

Re: Released my new App Diamond Chess Online for Android

Post by AdminX »

Nice to see it displays in Landscape mode! Thanks for the Interface. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by supersharp77 »

adams161 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:36 am I just finished up this last week Diamond Chess Online my new Android Client for FICS and ICC. I know a lot these days are chess.com and lichess but ‘I’ve always liked to keep the old ICS mode alive with its mix of play and chat.

To help make the ICS servers competitive on Android with lichess and chess.com I put Stockfish analysis in diamond when examining or observing and an option to set it at 1 to 5 lines in settings. There are chat features like a channels list to choose from. If anyone tries this, politics on both servers is most active. It also logs all games to a PGN log file that can be opened to upload a game to an examined board or mail out log file as an attachment like to get it to the persons computer. To get games there is a seek a game option on the Board. Guests can connect too and there is a connect as guest button. On FICS guests can watch on icc just play and examine. But if anyone wants to try as a member on ICC, ICC gives 30 days trials.

Any other links available besides Google play? Your website contains almost no information about this APK..Thx AR :) :wink:
adams161

Post by adams161 »

supersharp77 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:16 pm
adams161 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:36 am I just finished up this last week Diamond Chess Online my new Android Client for FICS and ICC. I know a lot these days are chess.com and lichess but ‘I’ve always liked to keep the old ICS mode alive with its mix of play and chat.

Any other links available besides Google play? Your website contains almost no information about this APK..Thx AR :) :wink:
Well i put the basics I thought on google play. i have not updated the description with its PGN logging yet, but it's in what's new on that page. I can answer any questions or maybe point out the type of information you were looking for. But i do have a couple of other links. These are not really about the APK but are links to diamond on iOS and Mac i did earlier this year. But I've tried to make Diamond on Android similar or modeled after diamond on iOS and i translated some of the back end classes like the game state from objective-c to java so functionality with board is near identidcal https://apps.apple.com/us/app/diamond-c ... 1496131224 and diamond on mac ( which is really the iPad app with some mods) is at http://www.adammr.com/diamondonmac.html

As you can see from screen shot if you look at top of image closely, there are 5 tabs, connect / console / rules of chess / board and settings. console has access to the channels view too if a user taps the channels button. it's easy to move between console and board for those who appreciate console support as its a tab switch. The analysis lines 1-5 can be set in settings and this is also an easy tab switch and the analysis font size I let users set so they can fit the amount of analysis depending how many lines they choose in the console area depending on their phone or other device size and eye sight. I tested on chrome book and it works well and has the feel of more a computer interface.
adams161

Post by adams161 »

I just wanted to give some basic info about the APK.

Our privacy policy is at http://www.adammr.com/diamondchess-privacypolicy.html. We don't collect any info or use any third party API's that transmit info currently. No plans to change that now. I hadn't found the link to add the privacy policy to Google Play yet I think but it's linked in app at bottom of settings.

We request two permissions. Internet and Access to external storage. These are only needed on older Android and we go down to 4.2. We only read and write to the apps directory for the game logging so don't need to and don't request any permissions at run time.

There are no ads or in app purchases and the app is free similar to how freechess.org is set up.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Cool app +1 Downloaded.

For chess players who have lived at least a while, the ICC will always be a bit nostalgic. I think the ICC is having a bad time because people prefer free sites instead. It is conceivable that the ICC has had a tough decade precisely because of free sites abounding.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

adams161 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 am I just wanted to give some basic info about the APK.

Our privacy policy is at http://www.adammr.com/diamondchess-privacypolicy.html. We don't collect any info or use any third party API's that transmit info currently. No plans to change that now. I hadn't found the link to add the privacy policy to Google Play yet I think but it's linked in app at bottom of settings.

We request two permissions. Internet and Access to external storage. These are only needed on older Android and we go down to 4.2. We only read and write to the apps directory for the game logging so don't need to and don't request any permissions at run time.

There are no ads or in app purchases and the app is free similar to how freechess.org is set up.
Apks.live link is 100% non operational........Thx AR :) :wink:
adams161

Post by adams161 »

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:14 pm
adams161 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 am I just wanted to give some basic info about the APK.

I don't know what that means. the link i posted in first post to play store works for me when i click on it to get to google play. Privacy policy link works if that was what you were interested in ( you quoted it but you said app live link so i think not what you meant here). Maybe it's an issue with your internet. Unfortunately if play store link doesnt work for you, it does work for me and some others, there's not much i can do as its googles link and only one i have.
adams161

Post by adams161 »

In your first post you didn't say it was non operational. you said it didn't have enough information for you. In your second you said it was non operational. i'm starting to get confused. if it worked the first time for you and it works for me now maybe it will work later for you. Internet glitch. If it didnt work first time i'm confused why you didn't say that. If you needed more information you can tell me like something about that. thanks
adams161

Post by adams161 »

my beta link to side load is http://www.adammr.com/diamondonandroid.html 1.0 is up there. theres almost no information on this page but if you wanted another link to try the apk this might work. its just missing PGN game logging,.