M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Post by mar »

AlexChess wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:00 pm Wow!
Please share it here :)
here: http://www.crabaware.com/Private/cheng4_osx_m1.zip
note that this is a dev version, slightly stronger than the official release
engine strength is about 3k CCRL blitz
(I haven't tested smp on M1 yet though)

the next official release (only about halfway there) will include binaries for M1
Martin Sedlak
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Thank you!
I have updated the 4.4.0 osx_x64 jan 2 2021 version just downloaded from github :) Very interested because it isn't a Stockfish derivate
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

This is my SuperBlitz 3 mins + 3 secs 2 CPUs with all best Apple Silicon M1 engines natively compiled by @Acepoint :D

Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Modern Times wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:57 pm
AlexChess wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:23 pm
91° Celsius with 4 CPUs (65°-75°using 2 CPUs) I have a Mac mini M1, so there is the fan, but since tournaments overcharges it for days, I don't like to risk.
I think that is wise, I wouldn't either. It isn't just the CPU, that heat must escape into the other internals of the laptop and make everything a bit warm ? Laptops just aren't meant for continuous heavy loading for hours and hours on end (my opinion). Sure some of the gaming laptops are built for it, but even then not for 24/7.
The exact same SoC and components are used in the Mac MIni which isn't a laptop.

I run my Air 24/7 at full CPU load (well, the 4 big cores!) and have been for weeks. The people on our team who do fuzzing run the Minis 24/7.

I don't understand why you'd buy hardware and then not use it due to an imaginary problem. This isn't like soldergate with the NVIDIA cards where there was a real production problem.
Ckappe
Full name: Rütger Andersen

Post by Ckappe »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:32 pm
Modern Times wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:57 pm
AlexChess wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:23 pm
91° Celsius with 4 CPUs (65°-75°using 2 CPUs) I have a Mac mini M1, so there is the fan, but since tournaments overcharges it for days, I don't like to risk.
I think that is wise, I wouldn't either. It isn't just the CPU, that heat must escape into the other internals of the laptop and make everything a bit warm ? Laptops just aren't meant for continuous heavy loading for hours and hours on end (my opinion). Sure some of the gaming laptops are built for it, but even then not for 24/7.
The exact same SoC and components are used in the Mac MIni which isn't a laptop.

I run my Air 24/7 at full CPU load (well, the 4 big cores!) and have been for weeks. The people on our team who do fuzzing run the Minis 24/7.

I don't understand why you'd buy hardware and then not use it due to an imaginary problem. This isn't like soldergate with the NVIDIA cards where there was a real production problem.
Probably becuase most people who actually care about "using" a computer don't buy overpriced mid-to-low-end hw simply because of their shiny logotype on the back, in the first place.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Maybe is MY Mac mini M1 that has problems (but I don't think so... Have you checked the status of your Macmini's SSD like me and Acepoint?)
I have never experienced so many troubles with Mac mini 2010 (still perfecty working under my M1) and iMac 2013!

-250 TB writed on internal *SOLDERED* 250 GB SSD and 16% used in 3 months!!!
-Frequent Kernel Panics (probably for overflow related to xpcproxy task)
-Bluetooth Apple magicmouse1 often disconnecting for interferences
-Wifi unable to connect to hotspots...
-91° Celsius after only 10 minutes playing blitz games between engines, when using more than 2 CPUs (so 10-15 million Nodes/s are only a dream)

Since i like macOS but NOT soldered components, Apple's walled garden and crazy prices, I'm thinking to build a tower hackintosh with a powerful compatible Intel/AMD cpu still good for next 4-5 years and socketed SSD & RAM . But if I will learn how to compile all open source chess engines for Ubuntu ARM64 (ARM IS the future) I'll return to it like 12 years ago :)

Modern Times is right: not only CPU, but all components on the SOC and SSD are stressed with 91° Celsius FOR DAYS in a 15x15 cm box (fan increases from 1700 RPMs only when >90° :oops: )
acepoint_de

Post by acepoint_de »

AlexChess wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:15 am Maybe is MY Mac mini M1 that has problems (but I don't think so... Have you checked the status of your Macmini's SSD like me and Acepoint?)
I have never experienced so many troubles with Mac mini 2010 (still perfecty working under my M1) and iMac 2013!
I never confirmed the «problem». Instead I sent a link in my past posting regarding the ssd-stuff, where you can find an explanation for the numbers. For now I don't bother.

Ciao

acepoint
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

acepoint_de wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:15 pm
AlexChess wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:15 am Maybe is MY Mac mini M1 that has problems (but I don't think so... Have you checked the status of your Macmini's SSD like me and Acepoint?)
I never confirmed the «problem». Instead I sent a link in my past posting regarding the ssd-stuff, where you can find an explanation for the numbers. For now I don't bother.

Ciao

acepoint
Sorry if I wrongly interpreted your opinion. Luckily the link explains that it could not be a problem, but your data are confirming 79 TB already written and 2% SSD consumed after only 200 hours on.
acepoint_de

Post by acepoint_de »

More sugaR: https://acepoint.de/more-sugar/

Ciao

acepoint

@Alex: Don't mind, but I really don't bother after the article.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

AlexChess wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:15 amSince i like macOS but NOT soldered components, Apple's walled garden and crazy prices
Just check out Louis Rossmann on YT, a guy who repairs Apple's misdesigned hardware for a living, and then giggle at what junk you even get at these prices.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net