M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

AlexChess wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:03 pm [Hi Giancarlo,
I also have a Mac mini M1 and Stockfish ARM64 is wonderful! Have you compiled other top engines natively for Silicon M1?
I have tried to compile LC0 using Homebrew now compatible with M1, I obtain the bin but it doesn't work (BanksiaGui says that isn't an UCI engine :( )
I suspect the problem is that your lc0 compile tries to use OpenCL, but the OpenCL driver on the M1 doesn't work with the lc0 OpenCL support (I have no idea whose fault that is).

If you switch it to BLAS, it will just work.
twobeer
Full name: Leif Aronsson

Post by twobeer »

No, the M1 is just that good, regardless of the brand on it. The 4900H you compare is a 45W chip (still slower for single core tasks!), and the RTX 2060 (mobile) is a 60-ish W card. The M1 is ~15W, total. You might appreciate the difference if you try to put both machines on your lap while using them.
What a retarded argument.. If you want a laptop to play chess you don't really care about the "watt" and single-core performance.. You care about how well it plays chess and how much it costs..

The M1 cost is similar priced and sized to laptops with higher performing CPU (more cores & more watt) and that also has GPU that are many times more powerful than Apples "appliance" all-in-one chip, supports more RAM, better I/O and even external GPUs etc..

Performance per watt may be of interest in a data center where power is expensive, or if weight or heat is a huge issue but for these laptops it isn'ta huge difference an just marketing sh*t for gullible fruit-people...
BetaPro
Full name: Jean-Roy Lee

Post by BetaPro »

Lol when do people buy a laptop just to play chess. Why does my company or Google give every software engineer a MacBook instead of an ASUS?

To be fair, I think it's fine to prefer other laptops over a MacBook when it was Intel, but now, I dont see why anyone would buy a non MacBook laptop anymore, unless you must use some software just available on Windows. It's just that much better.

And if you want beefy GPUs, why not just go for a desktop..
twobeer
Full name: Leif Aronsson

Post by twobeer »

BetaPro wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:09 pm Lol when do people buy a laptop just to play chess. Why does my company or Google give every software engineer a MacBook instead of an ASUS?

To be fair, I think it's fine to prefer other laptops over a MacBook when it was Intel, but now, I dont see why anyone would buy a non MacBook laptop anymore, unless you must use some software just available on Windows. It's just that much better.

pfft.. This is talkchess.com we talk about chess here.. I can give you lots of reason why some companies cuts some enterprice deals for sucky company-phones or laptops in search of standardizing support and a locked-down system with little flexibility and good volumne-purchasing is perfect for many large corporations.. This is a moot point... And btw most people I know currently working for Google are free to choose basically any model/brand they like they are not restricted to GPU-challenged Macs, especially if you work in the AI field.

If you want to run LC0, Komodo/Dragon, Stockfish, ChessBase, maybe even play some games on a laptop 2021, to put it bluntly I would say you have to be a retard to even consider a Mac, regardless of your budget if you want to use it extensively for chess-related use.
BetaPro

Post by BetaPro »

Again, that's desktop territory. I also think you'd be retarded to buy a ASUS whatever laptop with a 4900HS to run chess programs (also isn't it hardly available), running on full 8 cores you'd be burning both your hands and your lap, along with insufferable fan noise.

My previous company also provided software devs the option to choose between MacBook and some Lenovo laptops, guess what over 90% of people chose.
Milos

Post by Milos »

BetaPro wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:09 pm Lol when do people buy a laptop just to play chess. Why does my company or Google give every software engineer a MacBook instead of an ASUS?

You seems to be just a typical fanboy of a rotten apple. You see, there are ppl that hate closed "ecosystems", don't like macOS, prefer that most of the money they invest in laptop goes into hardware and not the logo and "slick" design, hate its thermal management, prefer to have real ports instead of dragging a bunch of "accessories", prefer to have flexibility to chose their own software instead of everything being set up how Apple thinks it's best for the sheep, etc. etc.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Just a non technical observation from my own personal experience. If you had to give a senior , someone over 6o, or someone 8 years old and younger, their first computer , you would be far better served ( as they will be too) giving them a macOS machine as opposed to any other computer, period and end of story.
BetaPro

Post by BetaPro »

Milos wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:36 am

You seems to be just a typical fanboy of a rotten apple. You see, there are ppl that hate closed "ecosystems", don't like macOS, prefer that most of the money they invest in laptop goes into hardware and not the logo and "slick" design, hate its thermal management, prefer to have real ports instead of dragging a bunch of "accessories", prefer to have flexibility to chose their own software instead of everything being set up how Apple thinks it's best for the sheep, etc. etc.
Haha calling me Apple sheep, I previously worked at AMD, even worked on the newest Cezanne APU drivers, and I'm still rooting for AMD; but for now I don't see anything laptop that can actually compete with the newest MacBooks.

If you choose to be blind to benchmarks and reviews, that's your personal issues.
acepoint_de

Post by acepoint_de »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:04 pm
AlexChess wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:03 pm [Hi Giancarlo,
I also have a Mac mini M1 and Stockfish ARM64 is wonderful! Have you compiled other top engines natively for Silicon M1?
I have tried to compile LC0 using Homebrew now compatible with M1, I obtain the bin but it doesn't work (BanksiaGui says that isn't an UCI engine :( )
I suspect the problem is that your lc0 compile tries to use OpenCL, but the OpenCL driver on the M1 doesn't work with the lc0 OpenCL support (I have no idea whose fault that is).

If you switch it to BLAS, it will just work.
I also use homebrew (m1) and here it works with opencl:

Code: Select all

% ./lc0-m1
       _
|   _ | |
|_ |_ |_| v0.26.3+git.dirty built Dec 24 2020
go infinite                    
Found pb network file: ./00af53b081e80147172e6f281c01daf5ca19ada173321438914c730370aa4267
Creating backend [opencl]...
OpenCL, maximum batch size set to 16.
Initializing OpenCL.
Detected 1 OpenCL platforms.
Platform version: OpenCL 1.2 (Dec 21 2020 17:26:51)
Platform profile: FULL_PROFILE
Platform name:    Apple
Platform vendor:  Apple
Device ID:      0
Device name:    Apple M1
Device type:    GPU
Device vendor:  Apple
Device driver:  1.2 1.0
Device speed:   1000 MHZ
Device cores:   8 CU
Device score:   112
Selected platform: Apple
Selected device: Apple M1
with OpenCL 1.2 capability.
Loaded existing SGEMM tuning for batch size 16.
Wavefront/Warp size: 32

Max workgroup size: 256
Max workgroup dimensions: 256 256 256
Did you try running lc0 at the command line using the commands uci and go infinite?

Ciao

acepoint
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Very good news. I have the same LC0 folder and NNUE :D

I have tried via command line (it says: illegal hardware instruction). Where I'm wrong?

Last login: Thu Feb 11 17:02:55 on ttys000
alex@Mac-mini-M1 ~ % /Users/alex/Documents/SCACCHI\ 2020/LC0\ MAC\ ARM\ 64\ 0.26.3/libexec/lc0 uci go infinite
zsh: illegal hardware instruction /Users/alex/Documents/SCACCHI\ 2020/LC0\ MAC\ ARM\ 64\ 0.26.3/libexec/lc0 uci
alex@Mac-mini-M1 ~ %

And how to use it in a chess GUI?

Thank you,
Ciao, Alex
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN