OpenCritter compiled for Linux with Free Pascal

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

OpenCritter compiled for Linux with Free Pascal

Post by Roland Chastain »

Hello! I retouched the source code of OpenCritter 1.1.37, to compile it for Linux with Free Pascal. The program seems to work correctly. Maybe it will interest someone. Theoretically the program is able to use Gaviota tablebases, but I haven't yet tried it. This will be (I hope) for the next version.

Thanks to Richard Vida for sharing his work, and for kindly allowing me to use it.

I will create a git repository soon. For now here is a link to the ZIP file (source and Linux binaries): OpenCritter 1.1.38

Best regards.

Roland
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Scally
Full name: Alan Cooper

Re: OpenCritter compiled for Linux with Free Pascal

Post by Scally »

Thanks Roland,

I managed to compile & run it on my Raspberry Pi 4, I just had to delete the ‘{$asmmode intel}’ line from platform.inc

Thanks,

Al.
Roland Chastain

Scally wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:40 pm I managed to compile & run it on my Raspberry Pi 4, I just had to delete the ‘{$asmmode intel}’ line from platform.inc
Thank you for the information. This line is no longer needed: I will delete it.

By the way, I tested the program in Chess960 mode: it doesn't work. I am trying to find what is wrong.
unserializable
Full name: Taimo Peelo

Post by unserializable »

Thanks for this, I have not tried it out yet, but was wandering whether OpenCritter could be the strongest open-source chess engine in Pascal?
Monchester 1.0, chess engine playing at scholastic level: https://github.com/unserializable/monchester ("Daddy, it is gonna take your horsie!")
Tickle Monchester at: https://lichess.org/@/monchester
Roland Chastain

unserializable wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:17 pm Thanks for this, I have not tried it out yet, but was wandering whether OpenCritter could be the strongest open-source chess engine in Pascal?
Yes, I believe. Booot is also very strong (but works only on Windows).
Roland Chastain

Roland Chastain wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:07 am By the way, I tested the program in Chess960 mode: it doesn't work. I am trying to find what is wrong.
There was an error in the FEN parser. It is fixed now. But there is another problem: after a castling from the opponent, the engine plays illegal move. I must take the time to review everything relating to castling.
Roland Chastain

The engine works more or less but there are some issues that I am not able to fix for now, because there are many things in the program that I don't understand. For example, I didn't know until today what is a "null move". :)

I created a git repository: Open Critter

Contributions are welcome.