Black Diamond Android App with NN Night Nurse 0.3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Black Diamond Android App with NN Night Nurse 0.3

Post by MikeB »

Link to Release and Download

In this release, the Black Diamond NN engines are paired with the acclaimed neural network Night Nurse 0.3 by Dietrich Kappe. This is the BEST net for human playing experience. For club players, set the base time control to 500 milliseconds (default) and the increment to 10 milliseconds (default). If you find it too easy, slowly increase the base and increment. To avoid instant move use the Engine Sleep function (default on) to put the engine to sleep anywhere from 1 second to 2 minutes. You can use UCI Limit Strength if the lowest time control settings are too strong for you.

It also works on the Amazon Fire Stick where you can play on the BIG screen.
A call out to Al Scally for his assistance on the Fire Stick deployment!

Please see the about.html below for more information.
This may be it for a while, will update the source in the next day or two.

Enjoy!
Michael Byrne

The updated about.html
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Black Diamond Android App with NN Night Nurse 0.3

Post by dkappe »

I’ve tried to install it on two different android devices. Both times it asked if I wanted to install an update. Both times it failed.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

dkappe wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:53 pm I’ve tried to install it on two different android devices. Both times it asked if I wanted to install an update. Both times it failed.
Remove Droidfish if you have it installed. It will not install over Droidfish.
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

MikeB wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:09 am Link to Release and Download

When you say that it also works on Amazon Fire TV Stick I understand that you mean that you can use it with its own remote control, but I think this is not the case, you will need an extra mouse or a control that has this option, so I don't see what difference it makes that it works on any android device.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

pedrox wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:08 pm
MikeB wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:09 am Link to Release and Download

When you say that it also works on Amazon Fire TV Stick I understand that you mean that you can use it with its own remote control, but I think this is not the case, you will need an extra mouse or a control that has this option, so I don't see what difference it makes that it works on any android device.
Get the free App “Toggle mouse”. It will turn your amazon remote into a point and click mouse and of course you can toggle it back to standard functionality.
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

Thank you, I think I understand now, I didn't know such an app to make the remote work as a mouse. Although I have tried this app and the handling is not very good.

It is really possible to find very cheap (about 25 dollars) android box Chinese that connect through hdmi to TV, these boxes can even carry the latest versions of android (10), have the google store and it is possible to download directly any app as droidfish. The remote control that usually comes with these boxes is not the best as it is complicated to move around the screen, the remote usually has a button to activate the mouse, but the operation is similar to what the app you indicate for FireTV does. In this case it is very advisable to spend about 10 dollars and buy a remote with air mouse and that connects via wifi to the usb port. In this way it is possible to play on Tv with an android box on droidfish and with a very good user experience.

I also have an nvidia shield TV, the concept is similar to FireTV, in this case the operating system is not Android, but AndroidTV, the applications are ready to use with your own remote control without a mouse. The app shop usually has (as in FireTV) far fewer applications, but it is possible to download and use any android app. In the case of the shield you have an android app to use for example on a mobile phone and that allows you to operate the shield tv, the experience is like using the trackpad of a notebook. It would also be possible to add an air mouse to the usb port.

In the case of FireTV it would also be possible to use an air mouse, but in this case as it only has a usb port and is used for power, you need to buy a cable so that you can power the device and also provide a usb port.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Thank you,

I want to use the engine with „ Chess for Android“ from Aart Bik - does it work with this app?
I am a weak player - 1700 elo. Which setting would you suggest?

Peter