Perfect chess engine elo ( 32 men TB) can be within 200 of Stocfish in Tcec LTC conditions

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Re: Perfect chess engine elo ( 32 men TB) can be within 200 of Stocfish in Tcec LTC conditions

Post by mwyoung »

towforce wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:53 am
mwyoung wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:49 am
towforce wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:48 am
mwyoung wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 amI can replicate exactly what you see with fast time controls and equal engines. And have many matches showing this result.

Are you sure about this? Remember TCEC deliberately imbalances openings to reduce the probability of drawn games. Are you saying that chess computers with state the art hardware and software are getting 95% draw rates at blitz time controls? If so, which matches produced this result?
Yes

In that case, an important new test is needed: top computers at blitz time control (ponder off) v top computers at long time control (ponder on).
You need to join my channel. I do this kind of testing for a living. :D
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
towforce

Re: Perfect chess engine elo ( 32 men TB) can be within 200 of Stocfish in Tcec LTC conditions

Post by towforce »

mwyoung wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:54 am
towforce wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:53 am
mwyoung wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 amI can replicate exactly what you see with fast time controls and equal engines. And have many matches showing this result.

Are you sure about this? Remember TCEC deliberately imbalances openings to reduce the probability of drawn games. Are you saying that chess computers with state the art hardware and software are getting 95% draw rates at blitz time controls? If so, which matches produced this result?
Yes

In that case, an important new test is needed: top computers at blitz time control (ponder off) v top computers at long time control (ponder on).
You need to join my channel. I do this kind of testing for a living. :D

Sounds very interesting! 8-)

Would it be fair to say that if an era of drawn computer chess arose that this would represent a threat to your income level?
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Yes! You need to see my Lc0 vs Allie match. It was a draw fest!

"You're playing not to lose, Josh" Searching for Bobby Fischer.
Yes, and how about a 96% draw rate at blitz!

Re: Allie v0.5 + 320x24.J13B.2-swa-178000 vs. Lc0 + 320x24.J13B.2-swa-178000 5m+5s
Post by mwyoung » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:33 pm

DESKTOP-CORSAIR, Blitz 5m+5s 0

1 Lc0 v0.22.0 +15 +3/=67/-0 52.14% 36.5/70
2 Allie v0.5-dev -15 +0/=67/-3 47.86% 33.5/70

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... .5#p813036
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

mwyoung wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:27 am

Re: Allie v0.5 + 320x24.J13B.2-swa-178000 vs. Lc0 + 320x24.J13B.2-swa-178000 5m+5s

Here is the bottom line. Draw rate is not a indication of perfect chess play! :roll:

You assume too much.
OneTrickPony

Post by OneTrickPony »

Here is the bottom line. Draw rate is not a indication of perfect chess play! :roll:

You assume too much.
I just want to point out that you are the one who assumes the most.
What is claimed more or less is that chess might already be solved (or in case of specific weak claim in this thread that it's within 200 ELO from godlike engine under TCEC time controls). The solution is to run SF for a long time on good hardware with maybe minimal opening book.
As you don't have a proof this is not a solution and we don't have a proof it is the solution we can look at various evidence to estimate which hypothesis is more likely. Here is evidence that chess is already solved (I am more interested in this claim that 200ELO as I think this one is just too boring):

-draw rate increases with hardware/computation time
-no one is able to win a corr game anymore against even slightly competent opponent who doesn't gamble in the opening (and even that is very rarely enough)
-no one is able to produce a series of moves that beat current SF in main line openings (assuming something like depth of 75)
-proving it's not a solution is easy (just show an example of SF at big depths losing to a series of moves); that no one is able to come with even one example makes the hypothesis more likely to be true

while all you have going for your is your feelings and wishful thinking. All you can say is that there is no proof it's the solution (or that SF is within 200ELO) but then again, you don't have a proof it isn't either.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

:lol: :lol:
OneTrickPony wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:08 pm

You assume too much.
I just want to point out that you are the one who assumes the most.
What is claimed more or less is that chess might already be solved (or in case of specific weak claim in this thread that it's within 200 ELO from godlike engine under TCEC time controls). The solution is to run SF for a long time on good hardware with maybe minimal opening book.
As you don't have a proof this is not a solution and we don't have a proof it is the solution we can look at various evidence to estimate which hypothesis is more likely. Here is evidence that chess is already solved (I am more interested in this claim that 200ELO as I think this one is just too boring):

-draw rate increases with hardware/computation time
-no one is able to win a corr game anymore against even slightly competent opponent who doesn't gamble in the opening (and even that is very rarely enough)
-no one is able to produce a series of moves that beat current SF in main line openings (assuming something like depth of 75)
-proving it's not a solution is easy (just show an example of SF at big depths losing to a series of moves); that no one is able to come with even one example makes the hypothesis more likely to be true

while all you have going for your is your feelings and wishful thinking. All you can say is that there is no proof it's the solution (or that SF is within 200ELO) but then again, you don't have a proof it isn't either.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

mwyoung wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:27 am

I see it is from 2019 and that no engine is stockfish.
I would like to see how many draws do we get if latest stockfish is playing against these engines with the same time control
before testing long time control against this time control.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Winning from start advantage is so small in chess that you will never find it against very strong engines. Likelywise, initial touch advantage in soccer is not a forced win advantage ( both scanerios, unless opponents do errors).

That is why, my first assumption of chess is draw. Some people wont believe it, it is up them, they can believe whatever they like.

In science, no one can show how big is the sun with measuring tape but I believe the sun is bigger than the earth due to significant amount of collateral data/evidences.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Nay Lin Tun wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 amno one can show how big is the sun with measuring tape but I believe the sun is bigger than the earth
That's a very good analogy.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

BTW SF is so far unbeaten in 5/5 blitz at CCC! The NNUE version. And classical is second :o .
Jouni