Minic version 3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

xr_a_y

Re: Minic version 3

Post by xr_a_y »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:43 pm Thank you very much for your reply. After installing the engine and after configuring the engine Minic 3.04 (picture below), you are not sure if the engine loaded correctly noisy_notch.bin

If I were you, i'd use the full path to the net in order not to depend on "working directory".

This is indeed an issue, nothing in the GUI ensure that the net is well loaded.
One simple thing to do is comparing NPS with and without net. With this kind of net, Minic with net loaded shall be really slower than without it.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Sorry to write so. But you have to work on it. But any GUI should tell you that it has loaded noisy_notch.bin.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Minic works perfectly for me under CuteChess GUI, no complaints.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Modern Times wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:20 am Minic works perfectly for me under CuteChess GUI, no complaints.
It will help to show engine installations by means of photos.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:37 pm Sorry to write so. But you have to work on it. But any GUI should tell you that it has loaded noisy_notch.bin.
Well Minic is outputing info at screen to tell if net is loaded or not, no worries. But thing is, cutechess only prints debug output after the initialization phase so that you have no access to that.

About engine/gui relation, I don't think any other engine do something that tells UCI protocol that net is properly loaded, but I might be wrong.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Thank you for your answer xr_a_y. I'm sorry but you are wrong, please look

Dokterchen

Post by Dokterchen »

I have noticed that Minic has a problem with spaces in the path. C:\MinicNet\noisy_notch.bin works, but C:\Minic Net\noisy_notch.bin does not work.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:36 am Thank you for your answer xr_a_y. I'm sorry but you are wrong, please look

Is this a cutechess screen shot? About what I am wrong? If this is cutechess debug output, I'm glad I'm wrong ;-)

If nnue net fail to load here, Minic would tell it and say it uses standard evaluation.
Krzysztof Grzelak

xr_a_y wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm Is this a cutechess screen shot? About what I am wrong? If this is cutechess debug output, I'm glad I'm wrong ;-)

If nnue net fail to load here, Minic would tell it and say it uses standard evaluation.
No, it isn't cutechess. It's a program Shredder Classic 5.As you can see, the program has loaded - noisy_notch.bin. See the information that is underlined in black in the image.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Dokterchen wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:01 pm I have noticed that Minic has a problem with spaces in the path. C:\MinicNet\noisy_notch.bin works, but C:\Minic Net\noisy_notch.bin does not work.
Thank you for the information - see how it is with me.