NiCimEngine Public release!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Re: NiCimEngine Public release!

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 pm Personally I don't think any rating list should rate this engine, since its just a wrapper around Stockfish's NNUE weights and implementation.

But, to each his own I'm afraid.
Furthermore, the engine is an exact rewrite of the BBC engine discussed in other threads in that it behaves identically even if the layout and names in the source are different. Said BBC engine is, itself, a rudimentary search + Daniel's NNUE probe library: a wrapper in Andrew's words.

It's fine to make derivative engines, but to be considered a "derivative" the engine must behave differently from the engine it's derived from. See Igel or Drofa for examples of derivatives. If it doesn't behave meaningfully differently, then it's a clone.

In this case, this engine, as of now, is a clone. It would be a waste of time for testers to test it. There's nothing stopping the author from doing something original (and it's my hope the author does) with it going forwards, but it's a long ways away from being considered a unique engine currently.
Graham Banks

Re: NiCimEngine Public release!

Post by Graham Banks »

yodatk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:09 pm
AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 pm Personally I don't think any rating list should rate this engine, since its just a wrapper around Stockfish's NNUE weights and implementation.

But, to each his own I'm afraid.
totally Agree, My engine in current state should not be rated
Okay - I'll wait until you have your own NNUE. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com