Is there a trick to run engine in MV mode in Chessbase GUI?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Is there a trick to run engine in MV mode in Chessbase GUI?

Post by Jouni »

I mean automatically and always. I haven't found any so far. If I insert MultiPV= 3 to *****.uci file no effect. The GUI is not using that parameter at all?
Jouni
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Is there a trick to run engine in MV mode in Chessbase GUI?

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Jouni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:29 am I mean automatically and always. I haven't found any so far. If I insert MultiPV= 3 to *****.uci file no effect. The GUI is not using that parameter at all?
I'm pretty sure this is handled by the GUI and not the engine. And obviously only works with engines that have MultiPV capability.

Which engine are you referring to?

In ChessBase 15, there are these + and - buttons and I'm pretty sure other ChessBase products have similar.

+ Increases the number of lines and - reduces them.

Again, assuming the engine itself has Multi-PV functionality.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

I mean AUTOMATICALLY. So You can play matches and run testsuites in MV mode. Not possible?
Jouni
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Jouni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:09 pm I mean AUTOMATICALLY. So You can play matches and run testsuites in MV mode. Not possible?
I dont think you can do this for a match. It would probably not be a good idea either as it would weaken the engine.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Just use a GUI that can.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Jouni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:29 am I mean automatically and always. I haven't found any so far. If I insert MultiPV= 3 to *****.uci file no effect. The GUI is not using that parameter at all?
Pity no, Jouni.
That works in Shredder GUI's .eng- files but not in chessbase.
You'll probably know already too, that Aquarium, Arena an Scid offer MultiPV in UCI- options also.
Peter.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Running engines through Polyglot could also be a solution: Polyglot also can be used as UCI to UCI adapter. By telling ChessBase that the engine is 'polyglot.exe', which you placed in the engine folder. This Polyglot instance will then look in that same folder for a file polyglot.ini, in which you can specify what engine .exe it should run, and how all its options (including MultiPV) should be set by default.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

LittleBlitzer accepts MultiPV=x command without problems! My short test with SF12 has ELO decrease as follows:

MultiPV=2 -73
MultiPV=3 -119
MultiPV=4 -191
Jouni