CTF Survey - Finished. Results in final post.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Re: CTF Survey

Post by emadsen »

That sub-forum never made any sense to me. Why is it hosted on a chess programming forum? There is an entire Internet for that kind of content.

2. CTF should be closed
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net
Dokterchen

Post by Dokterchen »

2. CTF should be closed
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

CTF should be closed.

The gentlemen over there can easily found a Facebook, What's up, Telegram or whatever group for free to "discuss" their fields of interest.
Wilson
Full name: Anthony Wilson

Post by Wilson »

As I've already stated in the CTF:

"this filthy place besides not being related in any way to chess/computer chess, makes this site look as a joke in the eyes of students/researchers/amateur programmers who register."

2. CTF should be closed
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

nobody sane will miss CTF - it's a garbage dump so I vote for 2., close it
Martin Sedlak
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Close it now (finally)!
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

2. CTF should be closed
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

I am not going to vote in this thread, Harvey. For instance, Option 3; "hidden forum only visible to those who request access." What does that even mean. Members to CC will have to ask a special, extra, codeword from Sam Hull to see CTF? The usual passwords for CCC for years could not be changed, often help with access by people aspiring to become new members here, had to be asked for usually from other members who would then try to contact the administration and often you would have to wait half a year to even become a member to CCC. Only then you can see CTF. So option 1 is already much the same as option 3. That alone makes option 3 and this whole poll somewhat misleading, strange and discouraging for those who do not want to give up hope for it. We are not trinary people. Have a discussion or poll, in CTF itself, as Ed Schröder (Rebel) is doing. Mr Williamson, Harvey, is a moderator in this forum. He should really stay out of politics as he is a judge of sorts. He should ask our friend Fernando Villegas instead to hold this discussion because he really was the one who wanted this forum in the first place. He probably does not like the place as it is now, but he would be better suited to hold a poll like this.

Much as I hate CTF some of the time, most of the time, it does have a function.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Eelco de Groot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:30 pm For instance, Option 3; "hidden forum only visible to those who request access." What does that even mean. Members to CC will have to ask a special, extra, codeword from Sam Hull to see CTF?
One way is just to set up a usergroup. People can add themselves to it and then be able to post in CTF. I don't want to have the discussion in this thread.
duncan

Post by duncan »

1. CTF should continue as it is now.

In addition there was a reason why CTF was founded. The reason has not gone away.