AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX

Post by Dann Corbit »

Apparently, it will offer 8 channel memory up to 2TB.
But the burning question is, will it have a boatload of PCIE-4 channels like the EPYC chips do?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX

Post by Leo »

Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:06 pm Apparently, it will offer 8 channel memory up to 2TB.
But the burning question is, will it have a boatload of PCIE-4 channels like the EPYC chips do?
Its not really $18,000 is it?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Wasn't Threadripper PRO only going to be sold inside ($18,000+) HP workstations?

Later this week Zen 3 is supposed to be announced. I don't know when the Zen-3 based Threadripper 4000-series will follow, but I do know I will wait and see.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Leo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:21 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:06 pm Apparently, it will offer 8 channel memory up to 2TB.
Its not really $18,000 is it?
I think that was a system and a fully loaded one at that.
I have looked at some Epyc configurations and 18,000 is very easy to rack up.
Just price out 2 TB of RAM, for instance.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

I’ve been meaning to ask this for ages: for chess, I’m not sure the extra RAM channels will help much. CPU Clock speed is more important.

In which case Threadripper >> Threadripper Pro >> EPYC.
(Assuming equal core counts).

Today I was musing over Milan coming up and I decided to compare two older processors: the 64 C Threadripper vs 2x 7542 EPYC. It was hard to chose EPYC if chess is the main application.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

That is why I asked about PCIE-4 channels. If you can have lot of those you can speed up your I/O and I know that helps a lot when you are hitting the tablebase file hard.

I also use the systems for other things. Database, in particular, drinks RAM with a slurp and a burp.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Octa-channel, 128 PCIe lanes, own sWRX8 socket, seems to come as OEM only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzen#Ryzen_3000

I am also keen for those memory-channels, but I guess for a custom-build machine with 2x GPU setup 64 PCIe lanes ought to be enough? Not sure how many lanes all the IO stuff of the mobo eats up.

--
Srdja
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

smatovic wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:51 am
Octa-channel, 128 PCIe lanes, own sWRX8 socket, seems to come as OEM only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzen#Ryzen_3000

I am also keen for those memory-channels, but I guess for a custom-build machine with 2x GPU setup 64 PCIe lanes ought to be enough? Not sure how many lanes all the IO stuff of the mobo eats up.

--
Srdja
I am at my utter limit with my 3970x, and was thinking about Epyc for my next build (about a year and a half from now). This architecture is an interesting alternative.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
The link above shows the 3995x is more powerful than the 3990x.
But maybe Ronald is right and you can't buy just the CPU.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Why would AMD sell their flagship CPU to computer manufacturers but not directly to the public?

A complete guess, but I wonder whether it's easy to break in the hands on a non-expert?
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!