Revolutionary chess position

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Dann Corbit, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
chrisw
Posts: 3851
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Revolutionary chess position

Post by chrisw » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:51 pm

Is this position re-constitutable?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi ... 382&type=3

And I wonder if the great man is playing it, or observing?

User avatar
towforce
Posts: 10694
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: Revolutionary chess position

Post by towforce » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:56 pm

chrisw wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:51 pm
And I wonder if the great man is playing it, or observing?

Without doubt, observing.
Writing is the antidote to confusion

ernest
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Re: Revolutionary chess position

Post by ernest » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:19 am

chrisw wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:51 pm

And I wonder if the great man is playing it, or observing?
The name of the Jimenez' opponent ends with "i" or "ki".

...and yes, I think that the position is re-constitutable, with little effort ! :D

After a short Google search : was it Capablanca Memorial 1962, the opponent could be Spasski (who finished 2nd) and the game was drawn (is the re-constituted position equal ? 8-) )

ernest
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Re: Revolutionary chess position

Post by ernest » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:59 am

chrisw wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:51 pm
Is this position re-constitutable?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi ... 382&type=3

And I wonder if the great man is playing it, or observing?
It was definitely Capablanca Memorial 1962 (other photos are available).
The games PGNs can be found at
https://zanchess.wordpress.com/2016/07/ ... look-look/

But the Jimenez opponent was not Spasski (Jimenez had Black against him, contrary to the photo).
Could the opponent be Polugaevski ? The Jimenez-Polugaevski PGN does not show the position seen on the photo.

So, mystery ! And the opponent obviously has left the table, even his chair is not visible...

So maybe Jimenez is just doing some unrelated analysis, by himself...

Or Che was really playing with Jimenez, outside the tournament, in a friendly game !!!

User avatar
Ajedrecista
Posts: 1495
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain.
Contact:

Re: Revolutionary chess position.

Post by Ajedrecista » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Hello:

I have read that Jiménez was not awarded as International Master until 1963, so it should not be the 1962 Capablanca Memorial (MI means 'Maestro Internacional' in Spanish, which translates into 'International Master').

Furthermore, I think I have found the correct game. Ché Guevara was a spectator as in many other Cuban tournaments (I was not even aware that he was a chess enthusiast!) and the game is from the first round of the 1964 Capablanca Memorial against Carlos Bielicki (the two final letters of the surname are 'ki' indeed):

Jiménez 0-1 Bielicki (1964 Capablanca Memorial, Round 1).

The position from the photograph looks the same than after 13.- ..., Kxg7 and before 14.- O-O-O.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

chrisw
Posts: 3851
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Revolutionary chess position.

Post by chrisw » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:38 pm

Ajedrecista wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Hello:

I have read that Jiménez was not awarded as International Master until 1963, so it should not be the 1962 Capablanca Memorial (MI means 'Maestro Internacional' in Spanish, which translates into 'International Master').

Furthermore, I think I have found the correct game. Ché Guevara was a spectator as in many other Cuban tournaments (I was not even aware that he was a chess enthusiast!) and the game is from the first round of the 1964 Capablanca Memorial against Carlos Bielicki (the two final letters of the surname are 'ki' indeed):

Jiménez 0-1 Bielicki (1964 Capablanca Memorial, Round 1).

The position from the photograph looks the same than after 13.- ..., Kxg7 and before 14.- O-O-O.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Thanks! General stats on chess players amongst the political leaders of the last century would be ‘interesting’. I think there are games from Trotsky, Che, Fidel, Lenin, but I know none from the non-revolutionary opposition. No Hitler, Churchill, Roosevelt, Chamberlain, Franco, Mussolini and so on, or are there?

duncan
Posts: 12029
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Revolutionary chess position.

Post by duncan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:52 pm

chrisw wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:38 pm
Ajedrecista wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Hello:

I have read that Jiménez was not awarded as International Master until 1963, so it should not be the 1962 Capablanca Memorial (MI means 'Maestro Internacional' in Spanish, which translates into 'International Master').

Furthermore, I think I have found the correct game. Ché Guevara was a spectator as in many other Cuban tournaments (I was not even aware that he was a chess enthusiast!) and the game is from the first round of the 1964 Capablanca Memorial against Carlos Bielicki (the two final letters of the surname are 'ki' indeed):

Jiménez 0-1 Bielicki (1964 Capablanca Memorial, Round 1).

The position from the photograph looks the same than after 13.- ..., Kxg7 and before 14.- O-O-O.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Thanks! General stats on chess players amongst the political leaders of the last century would be ‘interesting’. I think there are games from Trotsky, Che, Fidel, Lenin, but I know none from the non-revolutionary opposition. No Hitler, Churchill, Roosevelt, Chamberlain, Franco, Mussolini and so on, or are there?
Tricky to make this chess position out. Doubts if that is lenin. Not checked if there are similar doubts on Hitler


https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cul ... Lenin.html

An extraordinary etching of a young Adolf Hilter playing chess against Vladimir Lenin has come to light. The art work is by Hilter's Jewish art teacher Emma Lowenstramm who witnessed the game Credit: Photo: BNPS


https://en.chessbase.com/post/did-lenin ... che-board-

The image is said to have been created in Vienna by Hitler's art teacher, Emma Lowenstramm, and is signed on the reverse by the two dictators




– A controversy is raging in the news media over a picture being put on sale by the British auction house Mullock’s. It depicts Hitler and Lenin playing chess, in 1909, when they are supposed to have met in Vienna. The etching, by Hitler's Jewish art teacher, has a preliminary price of £40,000. But is it genuine? The chess historian Edward Winter introduced us to the topic some years ago.

ernest
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Re: Revolutionary chess position.

Post by ernest » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:17 am

Ajedrecista wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Hello:

I have read that Jiménez was not awarded as International Master until 1963, so it should not be the 1962 Capablanca Memorial (MI means 'Maestro Internacional' in Spanish, which translates into 'International Master').

Furthermore, I think I have found the correct game. Ché Guevara was a spectator as in many other Cuban tournaments (I was not even aware that he was a chess enthusiast!) and the game is from the first round of the 1964 Capablanca Memorial against Carlos Bielicki (the two final letters of the surname are 'ki' indeed):

Jiménez 0-1 Bielicki (1964 Capablanca Memorial, Round 1).

The position from the photograph looks the same than after 13.- ..., Kxg7 and before 14.- O-O-O.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Bravo, Ajedrecista !!! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Just to compare with the photo, here is the position you found :

[d] r1bq1r2/1p2ppkp/5np1/p3n3/3Np2P/2N2P2/PPPQB1P1/R3K2R w KQ - 0 1

Post Reply