playing like a human should do it

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: playing like a human should do it

Post by syzygy »

peter wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:35 am
mclane wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:42 am What my point is that the games of LC0 remind me on a human player.
LC0 is not playing boring machine chess.
As for some moves and games you're right of course, but as for some others it's just the other way round.

I support your aim, but I guess human guidance of net- development was the way to go at the moment primarily.
I could support an aim by someone actually trying to achieve it, but in my understanding mclane is just being dismissive of the efforts of lots of people who, unlike him, have tried to create something. I will never have any understanding or sympathy for such an attitude.

On top of that, mclane just seems to lack a basic understanding of what programming involves. It is extremely difficult to program something that exhibits something close to cognitive behaviour. Automatic translation of natural language is finally producing results that are actually looking very good thanks to deep learning algorithms and hardware. The same now happens in chess, except that conventional chess engines already played chess at a far higher level than humans.