Database recommendation for Macintosh?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kaissa

Database recommendation for Macintosh?

Post by kaissa »

Hello,

I've begun teaching chess online and one of my students uses a Macintosh. I want him to get used to entering his games into a database, comment on his games and at the very end use engines to check his analysis.

Chess X looks like a good starting point. Are there any Mac native freeware chess databases? Next in line is probably Shredder or Hiarcs. Any recommendations?

Thank you for your time,
MOBMAT

Re: Database recommendation for Macintosh?

Post by MOBMAT »

kaissa wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:40 pm Hello,

I've begun teaching chess online and one of my students uses a Macintosh. I want him to get used to entering his games into a database, comment on his games and at the very end use engines to check his analysis.

Chess X looks like a good starting point. Are there any Mac native freeware chess databases? Next in line is probably Shredder or Hiarcs. Any recommendations?

Thank you for your time,
MySQL runs on the Mac.
i7-6700K @ 4.00Ghz 32Gb, Win 10 Home, EGTBs on PCI SSD
Benchmark: Stockfish15.1 NNUE x64 bmi2 (nps): 1277K
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thank you for your time,
I think Shredder or HIARCS are you best choices for ease of use, features and limit strength playability and support.
HIARCS has very robust support with a fairly large community base of users and an active forum website where he can get most of his questions answered relatively quickly. They also have subscription based opening book offering which is very very good and updated at least once a year.

https://hiarcs.net/forums/
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:05 am

Thank you for your time,
I think Shredder or HIARCS are you best choices for ease of use, features and limit strength playability and support.
HIARCS has very robust support with a fairly large community base of users and an active forum website where he can get most of his questions answered relatively quickly. They also have subscription based opening book offering which is very very good and updated at least once a year.

https://hiarcs.net/forums/
The Honey engines limit strength functionality works in HIARCS explorer as well,

[pgn][Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2020.09.02"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Oki Maguro 12"]
[Black "Michael Byrne"]
[Result "0-1"]
[BlackElo "1407"]
[TimeControl "120:420"]
[WhiteElo "1407"]

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 exd5 4.Nf3 Nf6 5.Qe2+ Be7 6.Bf4 c6 7.Nbd2 O-O 8.c3 Re8 9.h3 Bd6 10.Be3 Nbd7 11.a3 Ne4 12.Qd1 Ndf6 13.Bd3 Bd7 14.O-O Qc8 15.Re1 Bxh3 16.gxh3 Qxh3 17.Ne5 Rxe5 18.Nxe4 Rxe4 19.Bxe4 Nxe4 20.Bf4 Bxf4 21.Rxe4 dxe4 22.Rc1 Qh2+ 23.Kf1 Bxc1 24.Qxc1 Qh1+ 25.Ke2 Qxc1 0-1[/pgn]

I played one rated game which I lost with Oki Maguro aka, "Big Tuna" and lost. It has a feature so that it will automatically increase or decrease the strength based on well you do. So I lost and it dropped my opponent rating to 1407, then I won, bringing my rating up to 1535 for the next game