Are we sure that Stockfish NNUE is better than the Normal Stockfish ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

corres

The chess power of NNUE net is restricted.

Post by corres »

corres wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:15 am "As the basement of NNUE-net is the Stockfish evaluation, the chess power of NNUE-net is restricted. During the process of reinforcement learning the NNUE-net does not get new information so the enhancement of chess power of NNUE-net is also restricted."

Who think the evaluation power of Stockfish is endless? I hope nobody. As in principle the self-play of Stockfish give the base of making nn-xyz.nnue, obviously the evaluation power of the nn-xyz.nnue using Stockfish is also no endless. During reinforcement learning for self playing engines use the earlier made net to gain a more stronger net. But if somebody think, during the process we can get a chess engine what can 'solve the chess' that people think badly.
The picture above obviously proves the course is not a self-enhancing course.

"I think the power of SF+NNUE may reach near its height and now the development of Classical Stockfish can enhance the chess power of SF+NNUE. But it is a much more slower course than you can expect from the earlier results."

The slower enhancement of Stockfish Elo is saw also on the above picture.
Now this enhancement basically arise from the work of the Stockfish`sdevelopers. In the better case we hope the enhancement give new information to the maker of the nets getting even stronger nets. So the course maybe endless, but the reached chess power of SF+NNUE is restricted.
This is my earlier opinion.