The most stupid idea by the Stockfish Team

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: The most stupid idea by the Stockfish Team

Post by syzygy »

schack wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:28 pm Biggest problem for now is that embedding is creating false positives on some systems.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file-ana ... /detection
Are you getting it from abrok.eu/stockfishj/?
I just checked and abrok indeed only offers executables with embedded network file. So now the trick is to convince the abrok maintainer to build SF without embedded net.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Damir wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:46 am Now each exe will be over 21 MB..
What's your problem with a 21 MB file ?
Damir wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:53 am I would prefer to manually install and remove the network file if I am not happy with it and use another one... Now with the network file inside the exe this option is no longer possible.. :x
You're wrong. It's still possible.
Last edited by Vinvin on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schack

Post by schack »

Compiled it myself, true, but at the risk of hubris, I think my system is clean.

[quote=syzygy post_id=858333 time=1598794899 user_id=6292]
[quote=schack post_id=858330 time=1598794132 user_id=5142]
Biggest problem for now is that embedding is creating false positives on some systems.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file-ana ... /detection
[/quote]
Are you getting it from abrok.eu/stockfishj/?
I just checked and abrok indeed only offers executables with embedded network file. So now the trick is to convince the abrok maintainer to build SF without embedded net.
[/quote]
schack

Post by schack »

[quote=Vinvin post_id=858336 time=1598795349 user_id=299]
[quote=Damir post_id=858287 time=1598780777 user_id=3761]
Now each exe will be over 21 MB..
[/quote]

[quote=Damir post_id=858289 time=1598781196 user_id=3761]
I would prefer to manually install and remove the network file if I am not happy with it and use another one... Now with the network file inside the exe this option is no longer possible.. :x
[/quote]
[/quote]

How to do this, Vinvin?
jdart

Post by jdart »

First time I tried installing it, I neglected to download the network file and the engine crashed when started up.

I think I agree with the sentiment that it should "just work" after download. There are various ways to fix this, like a comprehensible error message if the network file is not present (but I am not clear you'd see that necessarily if a UI is trying to load it). Embedding a default network does not seem to me like such a bad idea if it improves the "naive user" experience.

--Jon
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

Don't care if it is not in ABROK.
Embedded *.nnue is OK for official (yearly) build of SF-12, but not for daily DEV builds
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:04 pm There is utility in packaging them together. The vast majority of Stockfish users are not people who frequent any forums like this.

If you really want to be ahead of the curve, just compile your own Stockfishs yourself.
Agreed. There will be x100 times download from Official stockfish website, if stockfish team can put engine and GUI together.

Majority of people buy Fritz engine or other commercial software because, there is a package of engine plus gui by "one click" installation.

If there were three-four steps,
1. download stockfish
2. download nn
3. install and locate nn
4. download gui etc, 99% of engine users will say bye bye Stockfish. (Chessbase will be laughing for it)
Last edited by Nay Lin Tun on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

schack wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:51 pm
Vinvin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:49 pm
Damir wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:46 am Now each exe will be over 21 MB..
Damir wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:53 am I would prefer to manually install and remove the network file if I am not happy with it and use another one... Now with the network file inside the exe this option is no longer possible.. :x
How to do this, Vinvin?
Delete the exe file.
Deberger
Full name: ɹǝƃɹǝqǝᗡ ǝɔnɹꓭ

Post by Deberger »

schack wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:51 pm How to do this,
How to build Stockfish without embedded NNUE:

Code: Select all

CXXFLAGS="-DNNUE_EMBEDDING_OFF" make build
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Kieren Pearson wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:56 pm This is similar to how people on this forum were complaining about the hybrid NNUE / classic eval which gained elo and wanted a pure NNUE. Outside of computer chess enthusiasts, most people want to just be able to download the engine and have it work (with default settings be as strong as possible) with minimal fuss.
Ripping out hybrid, or in my case, making NNUE maximally configurable, is a bit more complicated. The comedy, of course, is that they left hybrid in the training code, which broke training. Very amusing.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".