"New" Engines (lc0, MCTS, SFNNUE) and suitable GUIs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Hamster

"New" Engines (lc0, MCTS, SFNNUE) and suitable GUIs

Post by Hamster »

I am struggling with finding a suitable GUI for the new engines like lc0, KomodoMCTS and StockfishNNUE.
Nibbler is great for lc0 but lacks the "usual" features of GUIs like Trees (Aquarium) or Databases (Fritz).
On the other hand I cannot get any WDL or other extra info in Aquarium and Fritz. Ideally I could get them
all to run in Aquarium - with the extra info.
Any help appreciated.
Nay Lin Tun

Re: "New" Engines (lc0, MCTS, SFNNUE) and suitable GUIs

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Afaik, there is no GUI that have all features that you mentioned above,
You may get those only when
1. Nibbler developer adds other features or
2. Traditional GUI developer adds Leela/MCTS features.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Any GUI that shows MCTS stats (e.g. Komodo's)? I cannot seem them even in Arena.
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

SF-NNUE doesn't need any special GUI.
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

May be a dumb question.
Are there any technology which can potentially benefit from combining CPU + GPU horse power?

something like NNUE can load GPU? (not now in current version, but can it potentially be ported to run both on CPU + GPU?)
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

LC0 already does use both CPU and GPU, but it does not scale well on CPUs. After three cores, adding more does not seem to help much.
Some tools, written to OpenCL, will run on whatever hardware is available. I think Scorpio did that at one time.
The biggest problem to utilizing both at the same time is writing data to and from the video memory so that the CPU can use it.
AMD is working on transparent access to memory so that GPU and CPU can immediately access the same memory.
For instance, a CPU will be able to use the video memory as RAM. They can't do that now.
When that happens, we may see a real computing revolution.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

From https://www.techpowerup.com/review/futu ... -releases/
under CDNA2, we have this:
CDNA2 implements Infinity Fabric gen 3.0 to support vast memory pools and cache-coherent unified memory access
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Hamster wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:30 pm I am struggling with finding a suitable GUI for the new engines like lc0, KomodoMCTS and StockfishNNUE.
Nibbler is great for lc0 but lacks the "usual" features of GUIs like Trees (Aquarium) or Databases (Fritz).
On the other hand I cannot get any WDL or other extra info in Aquarium and Fritz. Ideally I could get them
all to run in Aquarium - with the extra info.
Any help appreciated.
I guessed you have a look at BanksiaGUI. I don't insist anyone on use (since it depends on tastes, purposes... and the app is always free and available), just want to know which functions you are missing with that GUI? I have been working intensively with BanksiaGUI thus I can improve it quickly to make it more useful for other users.

I have never tried KomodoMCTS as well as other MCTC engines and don't know how special they are. However, for Lc0 and Stockfish NNUE, BanksiaGUI has supported fully with redundant functions/abilities. It also has almost all necessary functions of typical chess GUIs such as playing, tournaments, creating/viewing databases, opening books, connecting/playing to some Internet servers...

In the attached image, BanksiaGUI can display all stats from Lc0 in two tables, bubbles, a WDL chart, brief info. You can see info about WDL as well as "moveleft" which is added recently to Lc0. All those stats can be customized to display.

https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
kk

Post by kk »

Hi phhnguyen,
I have been trying the banksia gui out and am quite impressed with the features and functions available. I usually use HCE or Fritz interfaces but I am considering using Banksia more regularly. I haven’t managed to find a search facility in the pgn database access and I wonder if that is on your to do list? Also switching in ctg opening books would be an advantage for me.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

kk wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:04 am Hi phhnguyen,
I have been trying the banksia gui out and am quite impressed with the features and functions available. I usually use HCE or Fritz interfaces but I am considering using Banksia more regularly. I haven’t managed to find a search facility in the pgn database access and I wonder if that is on your to do list? Also switching in ctg opening books would be an advantage for me.
Thanks a lot for considering to use BanksiaGUI. Sorry, both those features (searching with PGN database and supporting CTG books) are still on my TODO list! :oops:

For further discussions/questions please use the main BanksiaGUI topic at http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72350
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager