Android compile of latest Stockfish

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MMarco
Full name: Marc-O Moisan-Plante

Re: Android compile of latest Stockfish

Post by MMarco »

h1a8 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:28 am does the nnue even work? engine is terminating when I try to install it with nnue enabled. when nnue is disabled then engine installs and works.
Before you start the engine with NNUE on, write the full path to the network in the EvalFile uci option, i.e. /sdcard/DroidFish/uci/eval/mynet.bin (or .nnue).
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

MMarco wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 am
h1a8 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:28 am does the nnue even work? engine is terminating when I try to install it with nnue enabled. when nnue is disabled then engine installs and works.
Before you start the engine with NNUE on, write the full path to the network in the EvalFile uci option, i.e. /sdcard/DroidFish/uci/eval/mynet.bin (or .nnue).
So go to the uci folder and create a folder and name it "eval", then put the net inside the "eval" folder then put the engine file "SF-NNUE-MZ-180820-arm8" in the uci folder (outside the eval folder). Name the net file to something.bin or something.nnue. Then open droidfish app and go to manage chess engines then select engine and choose SF-NNUE-MZ-180820-arm8. then again go to manage chess engines and the set options and check the use nnue box and type in the name of something.bin in the evalfile line.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

mwyoung wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:16 am
Nay Lin Tun wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:49 pm Hi,

Droidfish has not been updating to latest compile of SF. Which apps has the updated SF nnue engine?

Regards
Nay
I do not know, but my testing shows on phone cpu speeds, it should crush all other engines on a phone or tablet. I hope Droidfish updates soon.
Not too many cell phones can compete against my Iphone Xs Max using Smallfish, the Iphone Xs Max has one of the fastest CPU of any Cell phone . :roll:

The Apple A13 Bionic is a System on a Chip (SoC) from Apple that is found in the iPhone 11 series. It was announced late 2019 and offers 6 cores divided in 2 performance cores and four power efficiency cores. Compared to the previous A12 Bionic, the A13 should offer a 20% improved CPU performance at 40% lower power (according to Apple).

With 8.5 billion transistors, the A13 Bionic is a big chip especially compared to the Snapdragon 835 (3 Billion) or a Skylake desktop quad-core Soc (1.75 Billion).

The A13 Bionic has a whopping 8.5 billion second-generation seven-nanometer transistors, up from 6.9 billion in the previous generation. It can perform one trillion operations per second, thanks in part to new machine learning accelerators that can run matrix multiplication six times faster.Sep 13, 2019

Intel Core i5-6287U ► removeIntel 6287U
The Intel Core i5-6287U is a dual-core SoC based on the Skylake architecture and has been launched in September 2015. The CPU can be found in medium-sized ultrabooks as well as normal notebooks. In addition to two CPU cores with Hyper-Threading clocked at 3.1 - 3.5 GHz (2 cores: max. 3.3 GHz), the chip also integrates an Iris Graphics 550 GPU with 64 MB of eDRAM memory as well as a dual-channel DDR4-2133/DDR3L-1600 memory controller. The SoC is manufactured using a 14 nm process with FinFET transistors.

Architecture

Skylake replaces both Haswell and Broadwell and brings the same microarchitecture in every TDP class from 4.5 to 45 W. The extensive improvements of the Skylake design include increased out-of-order buffers, optimized prefetching and branch prediction as well as additional performance gains through Hyper-Threading. Overall, however, performance per clock has been increased by only 5 to 10 percent (compared to Haswell) respectively under 5 percent (compard to Broadwell), which is quite modest for a new architecture ("Tock").

Furthermore, the organisation of the eDRAM cache has been modified. Instead of acting like a victim cache, which has to be adressed via the L3/LLC, the eDRAM can now be adressed directly by programms just like the main memory. The size is still 128 MB for the quad-core models (4C + GT4e), while the dual-core chips (2C + GT3e) only offer 64 MB.

Performance

According to the specified clock rates and the improved architecture, the Core i5-6287U should perform similar to the former Core i5-5350H (Broadwell) and is one of the fastest mobile dual-cores as of late 2015.

Even demanding applications and multitasking are handled easily.

Graphics

The integrated graphics unit called Iris Graphics 550 represents the "GT3e" version of the Skylake GPU (Intel Gen. 9). The 48 Execution Units, also called EUs, are clocked at 350 - 1100 MHz and offer (thanks to the fast eDRAM cache) a performance similar to a dedicated GeForce 930M. Games of 2015 can thus be played smoothly in low or medium settings. For more information about performance and features, check our page for the Iris Graphics 550.

Power Consumption

Specified at a TDP of 28 W (including CPU, GPU and memory controller), the CPU is best suited for medium-sized notebooks (13-inches and above). Optionally, the TDP can be lowered to 23 watts (cTDP down), reducing both heat dissipation and performance.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
MMarco
Full name: Marc-O Moisan-Plante

Post by MMarco »

h1a8 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:11 am
MMarco wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 am
(...) and type in the name of something.bin in the evalfile line.
Not the name of something.bin, but the file path to it, i.e. /sdcard/DroidFish/uci/eval/something.bin (or maybe /storage/emulated/0/DroidFish/uci/eval/something.bin on some phones). Creating the eval folder is not necessary anymore (it was with the first versions of SFNNue). You could put the network file directly in the uci folder (or elsewhere) as long as you give the file path to the engine in the uci options.

I also saw this on the Outskirts forum:
Skynet wrote: Important note: in Droidfish, when you choose the engine for the first time, you'll see the message "Engine Terminated". Don't worry, go to the engine's settings and write the path to the network etc, and relaunch the Droidfish or switch the engine to another. This happens only once, at the first launch.. pardon
I've report this issue but haven't get answer yet. https://github.com/syzygy1/Cfish/issues ... -676539895
Does it work? You should get between 20 and 45% of Stockfish 11 nps depending on your phone (newer phone do better).
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Yes it works. Thanks a lot. I'm getting around 35% of Stockfish 11 nps.