... the last shall be first ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

... the last shall be first ...

Post by MikeB »

no - this is not another Biblical post (but do feel free to read Matthew 20:16 ;>) .. this is about all those computer chess enthusiasts who have held onto their x32 machines for ever and now are the last one ones holding on to them and the last ones to get fresh binaries when they come out..this time we are reversing that order and the x32 binaries are the FIRST ones to be released ....

Honey-XIr5 & company RELEASE....

package includes everything you need - 5 engines , Honey, Stockfish ( sort of) , Black-Diamond , Bluefish and my favorite, Weakfish - all running the latest SF approved net , which is INCLUDED in the packaged and is name eval.bin so you don't get it confused with the other 50 or so nets you have already picked along the way .;>) Each engine has a logo directly derived from one of the Lewes Chessmen, hard carved from Walrus ivory about 700 years ago and recently , .. ahem ,.discovered in Scotland almost two HUNDRED years ago ...that is correct .. they were AWOL for almost 500 years ...

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... s/tag/XIr5

enjoy - more versions will be released soon...
MikeB

Re: ... the last shall be first ...

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:14 am no - this is not another Biblical post (but do feel free to read Matthew 20:16 ;>) .. this is about all those computer chess enthusiasts who have held onto their x32 machines for ever and now are the last one ones holding on to them and the last ones to get fresh binaries when they come out..this time we are reversing that order and the x32 binaries are the FIRST ones to be released ....

Honey-XIr5 & company RELEASE....

package includes everything you need - 5 engines , Honey, Stockfish ( sort of) , Black-Diamond , Bluefish and my favorite, Weakfish - all running the latest SF approved net , which is INCLUDED in the packaged and is name eval.bin so you don't get it confused with the other 50 or so nets you have already picked along the way .;>) Each engine has a logo directly derived from one of the Lewes Chessmen, hard carved from Walrus ivory about 700 years ago and recently , .. ahem ,.discovered in Scotland almost two HUNDRED years ago ...that is correct .. they were AWOL for almost 500 years ...

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... s/tag/XIr5

enjoy - more versions will be released soon...

edit - I do hope the 32 bit binaries work- I have no way of testing them, but SF released a patch today that seems like it made a lot easier to build 32 bit binaries - thanks to syzygy ( Ronald) and his pull request and the SF team..
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

minor tweak to fix source - any downloaded exe's are fine

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... /tag/Xi5r1

just added threadripper exe's ( avx2 with bmi, but not bmi2)

Download is All in ONE (AIO) - exe's , logos and eval.bin
eval.bin works best being in the same folder as exe - hit return at the terminal , to see status, type "s" to see all shortcuts
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

A few points - all of the Windows binaries were posted, I will post some Linux and macOS tomorrow night it's important to use the fastest binary with the NN bench command:

binary.exe bench 16 1 13 true > the "true" is very important to run the bench with the NN evaluation
NN is on by default, eval.bin is best placed in the same folder as the binary - it's not required, but you really misunderstand how the paths works for you system if you move it , as even on Windows , I have seen inconsistencies from one machine to the next and I'm not here to babysit..

NN is on by default, the Stockfish version most closely resembles Stockfish, but is not an exact copy .. Honey and Bluefish rely more on NN that the Stockfish version. Bluefish, when in classical eval mode, values pieces 22% percent less than the others - hence it places more weight on evaluation than the other engines in classic mode, Black-Diamond is based on Crystal for the most part. They all have numerous playing levels - Weakfish will probably be the most fun to play for most people - club players can take it to level 10 without too much hard work - all limit strength modes ( except nps mode) and levels for all engines now include adaptive play by design - it will keep you in the game longer . NN mode play openings very well without an opening book - amazingly well. Have fun - I expect bugs - so keep me posted.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

MikeB wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:14 am package includes everything you need - 5 engines , Honey, Stockfish ( sort of) , Black-Diamond , Bluefish and my favorite, Weakfish - all running the latest SF approved net , which is INCLUDED in the packaged and is name eval.bin so you don't get it confused with the other 50 or so nets you have already picked along the way .;>)
Thanks a lot, Mike.
Modern compile works well at my old Xeon X5670 after downloading msys-2.0.dll
Two questions about net (Net_SHA256) and Eval File.

Why two of them and which one is used?

Second question:
Is NNUE checked a NNUE_always- eval, or is the Hybrid- Patch of SF dev. integrated, making usage of NNUE dependent on position's material?
Peter.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

peter wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:12 pm
MikeB wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:14 am package includes everything you need - 5 engines , Honey, Stockfish ( sort of) , Black-Diamond , Bluefish and my favorite, Weakfish - all running the latest SF approved net , which is INCLUDED in the packaged and is name eval.bin so you don't get it confused with the other 50 or so nets you have already picked along the way .;>)
Thanks a lot, Mike.

Second question:
Is NNUE checked a NNUE_always- eval, or is the Hybrid- Patch of SF dev. integrated, making usage of NNUE dependent on position's material?
I had recently changed from git bash to msys2 , apparently my msys2 is not well and did not listen to the -static flag.
Will try to get that fixed tonight - my apologies to all.
The netsha256 option is just a hack for the “make net” hack in the Makefile to pull the correct bin from the SF repo. Not used in the exe. Wasn’t thinking about the questions it might raise. Good question. All the engines use a hybrid approach , but modified from the hybrid approach used by Stockfish. Where the classic approach really shines as compared to the NN eval is when stockfish gets a big advantage - it is much better at “wrapping things up” and that is the primary reason why I left the hybrid approach in for all engines. Honey , Black-Diamond and Bluefish all use NN eval more often than the official Stockfish. It probably costs a few Elo - which is not one of my concerns.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

MikeB wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:50 pm
peter wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:12 pm
Thanks a lot, Mike.

Second question:
I had recently changed from git bash to msys2 , apparently my msys2 is not well and did not listen to the -static flag.
Will try to get that fixed tonight - my apologies to all.
The netsha256 option is just a hack for the “make net” hack in the Makefile to pull the correct bin from the SF repo. Not used in the exe. Wasn’t thinking about the questions it might raise. Good question. All the engines use a hybrid approach , but modified from the hybrid approach used by Stockfish. Where the classic approach really shines as compared to the NN eval is when stockfish gets a big advantage - it is much better at “wrapping things up” and that is the primary reason why I left the hybrid approach in for all engines. Honey , Black-Diamond and Bluefish all use NN eval more often than the official Stockfish. It probably costs a few Elo - which is not one of my concerns.
Thanks for the answer, msys isn't a problem since stored in directory of engine.
If netsha256 isn't used, it's ok for me too and if hybrid approach is used, I understand output to some test positions better.

E.g 21.Bg5! from A0-SF game nr.5

rn3r1k/pn1p1ppq/bpp4p/7P/4N1Q1/6P1/PP3PB1/R1B1R1K1 w - - 0 21

again is a victim of hybrid- eval obviously.
Peter.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

> Thanks a lot, Mike.
> Modern compile works well at my old Xeon X5670 after downloading msys-2.0.dll

@ Peter: where can I download this .dll ?
@ MikeB: why do we need msys-2.0.dll now ? :(
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Paloma wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:33 am > Thanks a lot, Mike.

It wasn't intentional, hoping to get it fixed. Nobody likes dlls - especially for chess engines!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:23 am
Paloma wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:33 am > Thanks a lot, Mike.

It wasn't intentional, hoping to get it fixed. Nobody likes dlls - especially for chess engines!
this was the reason - switching from Git bash to msys2 -

"git-for-windows/mingw-w64-x86_64-git on the other hand, is compiled using the MinGW compiler, which performs the translation to native Windows calls at compile time, which results in a much faster binary compared to the emulation approach, and does only require native Windows libraries to run."

I was having some conflict issues - but now I have reinstalled Git in such a way that I hope there will be no conflicts - took the conservative route, this time.