Larry Kaufman

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Re: Larry Kaufman

Post by mwyoung »

lkaufman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 pm
lkaufman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:20 pm
mehmet123 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 pm Larry is a very important person in Computer Chess World. Everyone interested in computer chess knows that he's the author of Komodo engine.

I keep learning new interesting things about him.
"On January 21-23, 1967, MacHack VI played in the Massachusetts Amateur Championship in Boston. It was the first time an electronic computer played chess against human beings under regular tournament conditions. Technical advice in the programming was given by Larry Kaufman (1966 American Open winner), "
https://www.chess.com/article/view/machack-attack

He has been active in chess computer at least 53 years. Really impressive.

And another thing. He is one of the 10 strongest shogi players in the world and he is the strongest American shogi player. Incredible success for a 72-year-old person.
http://www.shogi.net/fesa/index.php?mid=5
Thanks for the kind words. I must correct that I'm far from the top 10 shogi players in the world, the FESA list is only of players who have competed in the West, so at best you might say top 10 non-Japanese (or perhaps non-Asian) shogi players. In chess competition, although I've never been a top player (best was world #102 per Chessmetrics), my span of successes might be at or near a record; I took second place in the 1961 Maryland Junior championship, and tied for second place a couple weeks ago in the 2020 U.S. Senior Championship of (state) champions tournament (online due to pandemic). I suppose someone must have a sixty year span, but who?
I have the answer to my own question. Viktor Korchnoi had a 64 year span, from the Soviet Junior championship in 1947 to the Swiss championship in 2011! I'll have to win something in 2025 to match that record.
The meanest man to ever play chess, and the most arrogant. And my favorite chess personality. He told it like he saw it.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

mwyoung wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:25 pm
mehmet123 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 pm Larry is a very important person in Computer Chess World. Everyone interested in computer chess knows that he's the author of Komodo engine.

"On January 21-23, 1967, MacHack VI played in the Massachusetts Amateur Championship in Boston. It was the first time an electronic computer played chess against human beings under regular tournament conditions. Technical advice in the programming was given by Larry Kaufman (1966 American Open winner), "

And another thing. He is one of the 10 strongest shogi players in the world and he is the strongest American shogi player. Incredible success for a 72-year-old person.
Thanks for the kind words. I must correct that I'm far from the top 10 shogi players in the world, the FESA list is only of players who have competed in the West, so at best you might say top 10 non-Japanese (or perhaps non-Asian) shogi players. In chess competition, although I've never been a top player (best was world #102 per Chessmetrics), my span of successes might be at or near a record; I took second place in the 1961 Maryland Junior championship, and tied for second place a couple weeks ago in the 2020 U.S. Senior Championship of (state) champions tournament (online due to pandemic). I suppose someone must have a sixty year span, but who?
I have the answer to my own question. Viktor Korchnoi had a 64 year span, from the Soviet Junior championship in 1947 to the Swiss championship in 2011! I'll have to win something in 2025 to match that record.
The meanest man to ever play chess, and the most arrogant. And my favorite chess personality. He told it like he saw it.
I totally disagree about Korchnoi being the "meanest" and most "arrogant".

I spent a whole day with him in the late summer of 1977, just before his Candidates Match with Spassky. He visited Minneapolis partly for a Simul event. I met him an hour before his Simul and just had a pleasant chess conversation. He didn't know who I was, as I just came to spectate, but he and I bonded like old friends. When the Simul began, he took his suit jacket off and immediately handed it to me! It was heavy - I'm sure it held his wallet and other valuables. Nonetheless, I was honored that he trusted me - a complete stranger. I thus walked around the outside of the Simul boards and watched every move of every game, ensuring I was always within his eyesight. I thus carried his suit coat over my shoulder for hours.

After the Simul, we continued our pleasant chess chat. Although a long-time Spassky fan, I wanted to share a French Defense correspondence game of mine (I played a Spassky line as White) that had opening theory value that he could use. But then his personality changed, as did his facial expression as his eyes grew large. He then went totally silent - he didn't want to share anything with me. I think paranoia may have been present as his demeanor then suggested anger/distrust...something negative. He then changed the subject away from his Spassky match. We then resumed our earlier joviality. But the abruptness and severity of his emotional change was interesting.

His English skills then were quite good. Yes, I know he was called "Viktor the Terrible", and like Botvinnik, is known for trying to build a hatred for each opponent before each game. Perhaps I saw some of that when I mentioned the upcoming Spassky match. But as a non-opponent, he was wonderful!

-Steve-
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Stephen Ham wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:14 am

I spent a whole day with him in the late summer of 1977, just before his Candidates Match with Spassky. He visited Minneapolis partly for a Simul event. I met him an hour before his Simul and just had a pleasant chess conversation. He didn't know who I was, as I just came to spectate, but he and I bonded like old friends. When the Simul began, he took his suit jacket off and immediately handed it to me! It was heavy - I'm sure it held his wallet and other valuables. Nonetheless, I was honored that he trusted me - a complete stranger. I thus walked around the outside of the Simul boards and watched every move of every game, ensuring I was always within his eyesight. I thus carried his suit coat over my shoulder for hours.

After the Simul, we continued our pleasant chess chat. Although a long-time Spassky fan, I wanted to share a French Defense correspondence game of mine (I played a Spassky line as White) that had opening theory value that he could use. But then his personality changed, as did his facial expression as his eyes grew large. He then went totally silent - he didn't want to share anything with me. I think paranoia may have been present as his demeanor then suggested anger/distrust...something negative. He then changed the subject away from his Spassky match. We then resumed our earlier joviality. But the abruptness and severity of his emotional change was interesting.

His English skills then were quite good. Yes, I know he was called "Viktor the Terrible", and like Botvinnik, is known for trying to build a hatred for each opponent before each game. Perhaps I saw some of that when I mentioned the upcoming Spassky match. But as a non-opponent, he was wonderful!

-Steve-
My personal judgement stands. I also have fond memories of Victor. My favorite chess personality. I only honor his legacy.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

mwyoung wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:29 am

-Steve-
My personal judgement stands. I also have fond memories of Victor. My favorite chess personality. I only honor his legacy.
I can say that I taught Viktor Korchnoi how to play chess, even though he was Soviet Junior Champion the year I was born! Explanation: I taught him how to play Japanese chess (shogi), about thirty years ago in London! In our version of chess, he beat me in a simul in 1979, shortly after he lost the World Championship by a single game, yet in the next few months I made three IM norms with extra points with a plus score against 10 grandmasters. He played better in a simul against me than average GMs did in tournaments!
Komodo rules!
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

lkaufman wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:58 am
mwyoung wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:29 am

-Steve-
I can say that I taught Viktor Korchnoi how to play chess, even though he was Soviet Junior Champion the year I was born! Explanation: I taught him how to play Japanese chess (shogi), about thirty years ago in London! In our version of chess, he beat me in a simul in 1979, shortly after he lost the World Championship by a single game, yet in the next few months I made three IM norms with extra points with a plus score against 10 grandmasters. He played better in a simul against me than average GMs did in tournaments!
Thanks for your memories, I miss Victor very much....
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

Perhaps you're the one and only inverse-Fischer?
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mehmet123 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:05 pm One of the Larry's great chess game against the World 28th ranked player (J. Ehlvest) at that time.

Philadelphia 1995 · Sicilian, Alapin's variation (2.c3) (B22) · 1-0

Kaufman, Larry C (2430) - Ehlvest, Jaan (2630)
Event: World Open 23rd
Site: Philadelphia
Round: 8
Date: 1995
ECO: B07
Score: 1-0

[pgn] 1.e4 c5 2.c3 d6 3.d4 Nf6 4.Bd3 Nc6 5.Nf3 g6 6.O-O Bg7 7.d5 Na5 8.Nbd2 b6 9.Rb1 O-O 10.b4 Nb7 11.a3 Qc7 12.Bb2 e5 13.dxe6 fxe6 14.e5 dxe5 15.c4 Nd7 16.Ng5 Qd6 17.Nde4 Qe7 18.Qg4 Rf5 19.h4 Nd8 20.Rfe1 Bb7 21.b5 Nf8 22.Rbd1 h6 23.Nf3 Nf7 24.Qg3 g5 25.hxg5 hxg5 26.Bc1 Nh7 27.Nh2 Re8 28.Ng4 Nf8 29.Qh3 Ng6 30.g3 Nf8 31.Ne3 Nh6 32.Nxf5 exf5 33.Bxg5 Qe6 34.Nf6+ Bxf6 35.Qxh6 Bg7 36.Qxe6+ Nxe6 37.Be3 Rf8 38.Bf1 Nd4 39.Bxd4 cxd4 40.Bg2 Bxg2 41.Kxg2 Rc8 42.f3 Rxc4 43.Rc1 Ra4 44.Rc8+ Kf7 45.Rec1 Bf6 46.R1c7+ Ke6 47.Rc6+ Kf7 48.R8c7+ Be7 49.Rh6 d3 50.Rh7+ 1-0 [/pgn]
14.e5 nice move.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
mehmet123
Full name: Mehmet Karaman

Post by mehmet123 »

One of the other nice move is 16. Ng5

Stockfish 11 ( 6 cores) finds this move at 2 min 23 sec. For comparison Stockfish 11 (6 cores) finds famous Kasparov 24. Rxd4 move (Kasparov - Topalov 1999) less than 30 seconds
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kv74h3nrs ... 5.PNG/file
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I used to LOVE the old Computer Chess Reports that Larry put together. That was back before the internet and it was the only way I could ever hear about current computer chess. I used to devour books on the subject and read the extremely rare chess life article, but it was the Computer Chess Reports that I looked forward to the most when it would come in the mail. I still have most if not all of them on pdf that I will read through now and then.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

mehmet123 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:13 pm One of the other nice move is 16. Ng5

Stockfish 11 ( 6 cores) finds this move at 2 min 23 sec.
I find it in just a sec...because it's an 'idea'.
Now of course I don't calculate it that fast...have to spend more time than 2 min 23 sec to chew on it, but the idea itself of getting the pieces in the resulting positions - actually...ng5...nh7...qh5 is what I spot and that is just pattern recognition - is pretty simple. Engines work out the hard stuff quicker and better.