Tony Thomas has passed away ....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Tony Thomas has passed away ....

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tony Thomas a long time active member of our forum has passed away 2 days ago in the USA after he lost the battle against Covid-19 ....

He left behind a wife and a little daughter :(

May his soul rest in peace ....

You will be missed brother ....

Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Albert Silver

Re: Tony Thomas has passed away ....

Post by Albert Silver »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:33 pm Tony Thomas a long time active member of our forum has passed away 2 days ago in the USA after he lost the battle against Covid-19 ....

He left behind a wife and a little daughter :(

May his soul rest in peace ....

You will be missed brother ....

Dr.D
Deepest condolences! :cry: :cry:
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Tragic to hear that.
It really drives it home when one of those statistics is suddenly someone that you know.
Damn the pandemic.
Not just the minor inconvenience for me, but the tragedy wrought upon entire extended family groups.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Oh no! That's terrible! :shock: :cry:

Condolences to his loved ones.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Sad To Hear About His Passing......RIP... did not know him personally so pulled the history to get a sense of the man...He was really keyed in.... :cry: :?

Tony Thomas wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:36 am Current beta version of Romi chess using the book from Dr. WD is a dangerous oppoent to any engine. These are one of the best results Romi ever had against Arasan, so I just got way too excited so I had to post it here. The start rating for engines is 2400.

Code: Select all

2 RomiChessDK5              : 2510   90 (+ 53,= 10,- 27), 64.4 %

Lime 6.3                      :  30 (+ 27,=  2,-  1), 93.3 %
Zappa 1.1                     :  30 (+ 10,=  4,- 16), 40.0 %
Arasan 9.5                    :  30 (+ 16,=  4,- 10), 60.0 %
Every engine that supports WB protocol is used as a WB engine.
Tony Thomas wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:14 am
Graham Banks wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:Rybka is still going to win the tournament.
I agree with you on this one.
You know that Junior will claim that they were the only team without a loss. :lol:
Tony Thomas wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:16 am
geots wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:How much memory is the engine using under the task manager? Is it only using 1 MB? I had that problem until Graham send me his wb2uci.ini. Here is the one for one of the chessmaster 10000 personalities. Using this, The King uses a total of 32MB I believe. As the programmer of Sage and Pooky you wouldnt have a problem figuring out what's going on.

Code: Select all

[ENGINE]
Name=CM10th D2Alos 
Author=Johan de Koning
Filename=Wb2Uci.exe

[OPTIONS]
Program=KingWB13.exe 
InitString=cm_parm default\ncm_parm opk=369558 opp=100 opn=100 opb=100 opr=100 opq=100 myp=100 myn=100 myb=100 myr=100 myq=101 mycc=115 opcc=105 mymob=105 opmob=125 myks=140 opks=130 mypp=95 oppp=100 mypw=90 oppw=95 cfd=0 sop=100 avd=-3 rnd=0 sel=14 md=99 
HashCommand=cm_parm tts=%i004096
Ponder=true
ShowThinkingMove=true
; Logfile=true
Visible=Ponder,Hash,Extras

I dont know where you got your facts from, but obviously you have never run a CM10th personality in chessbase. You can change the hash to basically whatever you want it. For 40/40 we run the CM10 personalities on 124mb hash, because they wont hit directly on 128mb. That is as close as you can get. For blitz you can run them on 32 mb, or anything else, just like any other UCI engine. You just cannot lower the hash, only raise it. It you want to lower the hash, the workaround is change engines, lower hash, and then change back to CM. Is all this clear? :D

Daddy George
George, what happend to you? I do not own any chessbase products, I use arena only. Under arena, regardless of what you change, the display shows 2MB hash usage, but you can see another process running on task manager named Kingwb13 that uses around 32MB. Again, I am using the package send to me by Graham.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

RIP
Sad news !
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Prayers to his family and friends. :(
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Very sad news!
Condolences!
Mike Sherwin
Full name: Michael J Sherwin

Post by Mike Sherwin »

:cry:

Tony was Romi's only beta tester. I made progress when he was thoroughly testing every beta I through at him. I stopped making progress when he stopped testing. I wish him a good journey in the afterlife!
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Sad news Mr. Tony Thomas passed away, condolences to his family and friends.