Anyone else having issues getting today's Stockfish update to run?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leto

Re: Anyone else having issues getting today's Stockfish update to run?

Post by Leto »

corres wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:29 pm
Leto wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:18 pm ...
For some strange reason the hybrid mode works fine when I rename the network file to nn.bin, and change the evalfile path to ./eval/nn.bin
It seems to me the connection between Stockfish-NNUE and NNUE-net is unstable in some measure.
The stability can be enhanced if the name of NNUE-net is standardized (nn.bin) and the connection is hard-coded
I simply got confused by the multiple versions of Stockfish + NNUE available. In some forks, for example the packages available at Rebel's website, the network file is placed in a folder called eval. In the official Stockfish version you simply place the network file in the same folder with the engine executable. If a moderator sees this you may delete this thread as I did not intend to cause confusion.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

For some strange reason the hybrid mode works fine when I rename the network file to nn.bin, and change the evalfile path to ./eval/nn.bin
It seems to me the connection between Stockfish-NNUE and NNUE-net is unstable in some measure.
The stability can be enhanced if the name of NNUE-net is standardized (nn.bin) and the connection is hard-coded
How then, will people test one net against another and discover which nets are strongest.
Unfortunately, I think it is best to leave it painful
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
corres

Post by corres »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:15 am
How then, will people test one net against another and discover which nets are strongest.
Unfortunately, I think it is best to leave it painful
You need two sample of SF + NNUE with minimal difference in its source and its Elo.
And you need to remember which nn there is one .\eval\ and which is in the another...
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

As soon as you say "you need to remember" I am in trouble.
I always have 100 irons in the fire.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
corres

Post by corres »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:17 pm As soon as you say "you need to remember" I am in trouble.
I always have 100 irons in the fire.
I can identify the nn.bin only its file-date.
Sergio makes only one net at the same time so the file date determines every nn-file.