Safe values for AMD Ryzen 9 3950x

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

corres

Safe values for AMD Ryzen 9 3950x

Post by corres »

I am not the only one who has this processor so I ask everybody for the safe Vcore, die temperature and other parameters of Ryzen 9 3950x. Maybe there are such TC member who got true information about them.
Thanks for the help.
corres

Re: Safe values for AMD Ryzen 9 3950x

Post by corres »

corres wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:32 am I am not the only one who has this processor so I ask everybody for the safe Vcore, die temperature and other parameters of Ryzen 9 3950x. Maybe there are such TC member who got true information about them.
Thanks for the help.
It seems to me AMD want to sell more CPU and they are not bothered if their CPU is degraded.
A true data for Zen 1 CPU is the max safe Vcore Voltage is 1.45 Volts. This value may appropriate for Zen 2 CPUS, so 3900 series also. There were a lot of complaint about high idle temperature of 3950x but AMD said it is natural and the max. die temperature was marked by them ~ 90 grade Celsius.
The above values are not official, only for orientation.
jstanback
Full name: John Stanback

Post by jstanback »

AMD allows Vcore to go up to ~1.5 volts when running a single core. I think they do this more as a marketing gimmick than anything else since I don't think the max single core frequency can be maintained for more than a few seconds or so. I set my 3950x with Vcore=1.20 (droops to almost 1.13V at full load) and Multiplier=39.5. So all cores run at 3950 Mhz without boosting higher, which is fine with me. This gives better multi-thread benchmark results than the stock settings, but with quite a bit lower power. My temps with a Noctua U12S cooler are usually below 70C except on hot days where it might go up to 72C or so under full load. So far, no crashes in 6 months with these settings.

John
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

corres wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:32 am I am not the only one who has this processor so I ask everybody for the safe Vcore, die temperature and other parameters of Ryzen 9 3950x. Maybe there are such TC member who got true information about them.
Thanks for the help.
AMD will let you run it at 90 C and it will probably last long enough to get passed the warranty expiration. I heat throttle mine at 78C both to keep the heat and the noise down and I suspect the CPU will last a long time. John Stanback throttles his at 72C I believe, so his should last longer than mine and be even quieter.