Next step for SF NNUE: Chessbase engine to buy?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Next step for SF NNUE: Chessbase engine to buy?

Post by Jouni »

There has been one so far. Houdini 6 = Stockfish 8.5 :) .
Jouni
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Next step for SF NNUE: Chessbase engine to buy?

Post by smatovic »

Jouni wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:31 pm There has been one so far. Houdini 6 = Stockfish 8.5 :) .
Hehe, I bet on "Fat Fish" :-)

--
Srdja
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

smatovic wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:46 am
Jouni wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:31 pm There has been one so far. Houdini 6 = Stockfish 8.5 :) .
Hehe, I bet on "Fat Fish" :-)

--
Srdja
No, the point isn't the Fat part, but the Fritz part.

So my bet goes for Freak Fritz! The strongest Fritz to date, and the most commercially successful open source engine! :mrgreen:
Thomas Lagershausen

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

Come on.

Business people making business stuff. :D
TL
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

I think SF + NNUE means the end of commercial engines. End of an era.
Jouni
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

Jouni wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 am I think SF + NNUE means the end of commercial engines. End of an era.
Mark Lefler has reached out to NNUE dev...

If he and the Komodo team find a promising nnue architecture and quickly start training they may be able to get close to SF again, despite inferior search.
The current top nets are produced by Sergio who doesn't have that much hardware, so if they strike gold they can produce nets of superior quality than what SF is currently using.

It's just an "if" though
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Jouni wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 am I think SF + NNUE means the end of commercial engines. End of an era.
The end was 16 years ago already, when Fruit started challenging the Shredder supremacy. It's been an uphill battle for commercial chess engines ever since.

The model of distributed developpement is unbeatable. SF has access to all the brain power and computing power that is interested in it. And the stronger it gets, the more it accretes brain power and computing power. It's basically a black hole. Commercial engine developpers are hopelessly trying to exceed the speed of light to escape the SF black hole. Impossible: SF event horizon is behind already.

Developping a chess engine on one's own is still fun (for some). But doing so competitively is a hopeless pursuit.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Raphexon wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:24 am
Mark Lefler has reached out to NNUE dev...

If he and the Komodo team find a promising nnue architecture and quickly start training they may be able to get close to SF again, despite inferior search.
The current top nets are produced by Sergio who doesn't have that much hardware, so if they strike gold they can produce nets of superior quality than what SF is currently using.

It's just an "if" though
Are the NNUE developers willing to license the code? (Is it fully theirs to begin with? Probably it is, but I have no idea.)
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

lucasart wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:38 pmDevelopping a chess engine on one's own is still fun (for some). But doing so competitively is a hopeless pursuit.
Well, if a commercial developer can manage to keep a new idea like NNUE for themselves, there are still possibilities.

But I agree that the chances that the next new idea will be developed on top of Stockfish and not be kept secret are much greater than the chances that it will come from one of the few small groups of commercial developers.