SF NNUE Problem

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

SF NNUE Problem

Post by Stephen Ham »

Hello All,

Today I downloaded the August 2 Stockfish NNUE iteration from the abrok site, plus the 20200728-2138.bin. They're now installed on my PC and the parameters are set. Yes, the NNUE box is checked. However, with all cores activated, Stockfish NNUE runs at just 1/3 the kN/s speed of standard Stockfish.

So, what's wrong?

A second problem is that while Stockfish NNUE is labeled as such in my C-drive (ChessBase Engines UCI), the Fritz GUI still reads the engine as Stockfish 020820. So, how can I differentiate between that engine and a standard Stockfish of the same build date when I chose to load engines? The only work around I can see is to only update SF NNUE in the present month (e.g. August) and then have standard SF updated only to the prior month (e.g. July).

Thanks in advance.

-Steve-
Last edited by Stephen Ham on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
abgursu
Full name: A. B. Gursu

Re: SF NNUE Problem

Post by abgursu »

Stephen Ham wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:45 am Hello All,

Today I downloaded the August 2 Stockfish NNUE iteration from the abrok site, plus the 20200728-2138.bin. They're now installed on my PC and the parameters are set. Yes, the NNUE box is checked. However, with all cores activated, Stockfish NNUE runs at just 1/3 the kN/s speed of standard Stockfish.

So, what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve-
Only the Speed Loss, can make you sure everything is alright.
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

Hello Ahmet,

All other parameters are set correctly. They are identical to the parameters for standard Stockfish, except of course the NNUE box is checked and the path to the .bin is set.

Sincerely,
-Steve-
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

So, what's wrong?

A second problem is that while Stockfish NNUE is labeled as such in my C-drive (ChessBase Engines UCI), the Fritz GUI still reads the engine as Stockfish 020820. So, how can I differentiate between that engine and a standard Stockfish of the same build date when I chose to load engines? The only work around I can see is to only update SF NNUE in the present month (e.g. August) and then have standard SF updated only to the prior month (e.g. July).

Thanks in advance.

-Steve-
I've read that the abrok exes are slow. Better off compiling your own. Msys2/mingw is good on Win10 and what I use.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Stephen Ham wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:45 am So, what's wrong?
Nodes one third of SF non NNUE is ok for popcnt- compile, I'd say, avx2 is about half of non NN.

Why not give the engine you install in chessbase- GUIs a name with any add-on of your own choice?
Peter.
abgursu

Post by abgursu »

JohnS wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:14 am

So, what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve-
I've read that the abrok exes are slow. Better off compiling your own. Msys2/mingw is good on Win10 and what I use.
Hi all,
I don't know how is abrok compiles but it's impossible that NNUE Engines having same speed with normal SF. SFNNUE is Neural Network using Stockfish, so it must be slower. Tests shows that the NNUE Speed is 1/3 - 2/3 Stockfish Speed.
abgursu

Post by abgursu »

So, what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve-
For second question, you can rename it with using .UCI files. If you don't know how to use UCI files pm me.