Stockfish NNue [download ]

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I got quite some thank-you's from folks who want to have the latest (best) version and are drowning here and so I will as good as it gets update my Stockfish-NNUe page with a ready to use download when there is a good reason for that, such as now.

Progress goes incredible fast, the latest well tested version is now ~95 elo stronger than Stockfish 11 within just 14 days. So stay tuned.

http://rebel13.nl/download/stockfish-nnue.html

Next update after +120 elo, just kidding.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
h1a8

Re: Stockfish NNue [download ]

Post by h1a8 »

Thank you! I have an i7-9700k with 2080ti. Which version should I use? popcount, bmi2, or avx2?
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

h1a8 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 am Thank you! I have an i7-9700k with 2080ti. Which version should I use? popcount, bmi2, or avx2?
The GPU is irrelevant for SF.

Use whichever on happens to run fastest on your system, it's not like you pay money per binary. Just run them each from a couple positions.

Most likely BMI2 version will be fastest on your very new CPU.
-Jonathan
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Rebel wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:22 pmthe latest well tested version is now ~95 elo stronger than Stockfish 11
Worth noting: this is at 40 moves in 20 seconds time control. At real world time controls like 5 +0 I don't think 70 elo has been broken yet (but... this is more than one year of progress still...)
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

How do can you test the speed of the compile to see which compile is fastest on your system? Is there a console command?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

M ANSARI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 am How do can you test the speed of the compile to see which compile is fastest on your system? Is there a console command?
Go nodes ########
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dann Corbit »

You can also type the word bench after starting the engine.
It will analyze 42 positions or so and then give you a number.

I think a better test would be to set up each of the engines in a GUI and then have a quick gauntlett.
The engines report their NPS to the GUI.

The reason I suggest doing it that way is that you can have all the parameters set up correctly.
If you just type go nodes <n> or bench, it will be running regular SF without the network, etc
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

M ANSARI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 am How do can you test the speed of the compile to see which compile is fastest on your system? Is there a console command?
Just use the bench command twice and get an average of both times.
cma6

Post by cma6 »

[quote=Rebel post_id=853991 time=1596133321 user_id=5972]
I got quite some thank-you's from folks who want to have the latest (best) version and are drowning here and so I will as good as it gets update my Stockfish-NNUe page with a ready to use download when there is a good reason for that, such as now.
Progress goes incredible fast, the latest well tested version is now ~95 elo stronger than Stockfish 11 within just 14 days. So stay tuned.
http://rebel13.nl/download/stockfish-nnue.html

Rebel, thank you for providing a great service to the chess engine community. To keep updated on the best SF NNUE version, is it sufficient to update to the latest (non-experimental network (.bin) from Sergio, or should one also update to your latest version of "sf-nnue-bmi2.exe"?
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

cma6 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 pm Rebel, thank you for providing a great service to the chess engine community. To keep updated on the best SF NNUE version, is it sufficient to update to the latest (non-experimental network (.bin) from Sergio, or should one also update to your latest version of "sf-nnue-bmi2.exe"?
The latest Sergio net may not be the strongest one, let others test and upgrade once someone you trust reports that there's a new net that is the best.