In memory of Tony Hedlund

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lars Sandin

In memory of Tony Hedlund

Post by Lars Sandin »

It is with deepest regrets that I must inform you that our long-time forum/SSDF-member Tony Hedlund, sadly passed away back in early November last year.

Tony was an integral part of the SSDF for over 30 years and certainly a key part of its strength in the last ten years. He was responsible for our valued SSDF database of test games since 1997, wrote many articles and commented games in our former magazine PLY. His sustained contribution over the years was driven by his strong interest in computers, chess and computer-chess. The SSDF also benefitted from his knowledge, vision, rigour and aspiration to the highest standards of testing. His vigorous efforts often worked as a great motivator and drove fellow contributors forward. All this ensured that the International Computer Chess Association continued to regard the SSDF’s testing regime as the gold standard and publish the SSDF ‘Top 50’ list.

The SSDF rating list which we publish today is therefore dedicated in honour of Tony Hedlund.

Chess was clearly a big part of Tony’s life. He test-played with his chess computers both manually and later automatically. He was an enthusiastic, strong correspondence chess player, and reached the rank of International Correspondence Chess Grand Master in 2005. He wrote many articles about opening- studies, biographies and commented games in Korrschack (formerly SSKK-bulletinen), the official magazine for correspondence chess here in Sweden. Away from the desk, he also liked long-distance running and ran several marathons.

It is difficult to find words to describe how much he has meant to us. His dedication was a source of inspiration for me personally and for all of us in the SSDF.

He was the one friend I communicated with by mail the most, and as such – the silence which ensued after his death was deafening. This certainly made me understand how much you could miss a person with which you had only communicated electronically and never met face to face.

Tony, you made our world a better place and we thank you for everything.

Lars Sandin
Lars Sandin, SSDF
Rebel

Re: In memory of Tony Hedlund

Post by Rebel »

RIP Tony.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

So sorry to hear of this. :(
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Rebel wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:36 pmRIP Tony.
+1
:(
jswaff
Full name: James Swafford

Post by jswaff »

I'm very sorry to hear that. Prayers for peace and comfort.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

So sad, my deepest condolences to family and friends.
mehmet123
Full name: Mehmet Karaman

Post by mehmet123 »

Sad news. A big loss for the Chess Programs World.
It's sad to learn his death 8 months later too.
Airton

Post by Airton »

Rest in peace.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Very sad to hear of it, we exchanged email several times and I found him to be very pleasant and engaging
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.